Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Tuesday, 28 March 2017

NARESH - 26/11/1955

To,

Hemendra C. Parekh B.E. (Mech.)

616 E Daniel

CHAMPAIGN (Illinois)

(U.S.A.)

 

73 Sion Road,

Bombay 22

India.

26-11-55

 

પ્રિય હેમેન્દ્ર,

જત લખવાનું કે તારું દિવાળી કાર્ડ મળ્યું હશે. તારો તારીખ ૧૬-૧૧-૫૫ અને ૨૦-૧૧-૫૫ ના પત્રો મળ્યા. તારીખ ૧૬ મીનો કાકાનો પત્ર પણ તારી પત્રની સાથે જ મળ્યો. મી. ચોરાદરા તથા રજનીભાઇને તારી કાપલીઓ મોકલી દીધી છે. રજનીભાઇને તો જાતે મળવા ગયો હતો પરંતુ તેઓ મળ્યા નહિ.

હમણા ગયા શનિવારે અને રવિવારે એક ગજ ગાડી મળી ગઈ હતી તેમાં નાસીક પાસે wilson dam ની trip કરી આવ્યો ખુબ મજા પડી. અને હાલ મારે ૨૬૦ મામા અહી હોવાથી તેમની સાથે રાતના ૧૧-૩૦ - ૧૨.૦૦ સુધી રહેવુ પડે છે એટલે દરરોજ રાત્રે ઉત્તર આપવા વિચાર કરતો પણ ઊંઘ જોરદાર હોઇ લાવતો અને આળસ થતી હતી એટલે પત્રનો ઉત્તર આપવામાં આઠ દિવસનો વિલંબ થઈ ગયો છે.

તારા તરફથી વિગત જાણી. અને પ્રવિણભાઇને આજ કાલમાં પત્ર લખીને બધી વિગત મંગાવી કોઇશ અને મારો વિચાર જણાવીશ, પણ થોડી તારી સલાહનો પણ મને જરૂર લાગે છે, મને પ્રશ્ન એ થાય છે કે Philadelphia University તો પ્રખ્યાત છે અને ઘણાં લોકો Textile માટે ત્યાં ગયાનું સાંભળ્યું છે. તેમજ અહીંથી Adelphi માંથી મને જવાબ આપ્યો તેમા પણ Philadelphia, New York (and third one which I do not know at present) ના જ નામો હતા, એટલે મારે માટે તો North Carolina એકદમ નવુ જ નામ છે, અને Amerika માં તો ગામડે ગામડે College છે એમા ઘણી ખરી કદાચ આપણે અહીં જે તેથી અલીગઢ પં... અથવા પંજાબ University જેવી હોવા સંભવ છે તો કદાચ North Carolia કદાચ તેમાંની એક હોય તો તેમાં admission લેવુ મને તો અયોગ્ય લાગે છે. પણ મારી માન્યતા કદાચ ખોટી પણ હોય અને તુ અત્યાર સુધીમાં તો તેને Carolina College નું બુલેટીન પણ મળી ગયું હશે એટલે જરૂરી લાગે તેથી માહિતી મને વિના વિલંબે મોકલી આપજે. આ University Champaign થી કેટલી દૂર છે? મારી તારા તરફથી ઘણી જ સુંદર અને વિગતવાર માહિતી મળી છે તે બદલ આભાર.

અમારે અઠવાડિયા પહેલાં જ લગભગ બધા સ્કુલ મિત્રોને ઘરે બોલાવ્યા હતા અને ઘણા વર્ષે બધા એક બીજાને મળ્યા હતા. મંકોડી, ભટ્ટ, દલાલ, રામે અને રણછોડ આવેલા જ્યારે મધુક્રાંત અને રાધવયું ટાઇમ આપેલો હોવા છતા આવ્યા ન હતા. તને બધા યાદ કરતા હતા અને મેં પણ તેઓને તારા તરફથી યાદ ક્યાંનું કહેલ.

Well Hemendra, I sincerely wish to leave India as soon as possible and at-least before february, 1956. As I have heard from two - three people that my Stars will be worst (at least for me) in the month of February! so that is that! And hence I request you to help me in this matter, as you are already helping me at present.

અહીં સર્વે કુશળ છે. પુ. માતુશ્રી તથા પુ. પિતાશ્રી તને કોઈ વાર વાર વાર્યો. પુ. જગદીશકાકા નો પણ તે તારીખે મળેલ પત્ર તેમની રૂબરૂમાં જ વંચાયેલ. તમે બંને મારા માટે admission વિષે કથાગ્રહ પ્રયત્ન...

 

પુ. જગદીશકાકા જણાવે છે કે તું પહેલું Plane પકડીને અહીં આવી જા અને ૧૦-૧૨ દિવસ મારી સાથે રહેજે તેટલામાં હું મારી ઓળખાણ (લાગવગ) તને Bayer's Factory માં practical training માટે રખાવી આપીશ તેઓ તારી રહેવા-જમવાની સગવડ કરશે અને મહિને થોડો Pocket expense પણ આપશે. ફક્ત તારે travelling expense માટે બંદોબસ્ત કરવાનો રહેશે આ પ્રમાણે પેલો ઓર્ડર તો ઘણો મોટો લાગે છે પણ Language નો મોટો વધો સાથે છે. જ્યારે America માં Language નો વાંધો ન આવે પણ expense ક્યાંથી કાઢવો એનો વાંધો આવે !

બીજું અહીં ગયા અઠવાડિયામાં બે અભૂતપૂર્વ બનાવો બની ગયા એક આનંદ-ઉલ્લાસ ઉમંગવાળો હતો જ્યારે બીજો મારફાડ, ગુંડાગીરી વગેરે વાળો હતો. તારીખ ૨૧ મી એ સંયુક્ત મહારાષ્ટ્રવાળા તરફથી મહારાષ્ટ્રની સાથે મુંબઈ નથી આપવું તે માટે હડતાલ હતી. તે હડતાલે ઘણું જ ઉગ્ર સ્વરૂપ ધારણ કર્યું હતું. ઠેર ઠેર B.E.S.T. ની બસો સળગાવી મૂકી હતી-ખાનગી કારો તોડી નાખી - Milk distributing Centres તોડી નાખ્યા-વગેરે અનેક જાત ના નુકશાન કરેલ. કુલ B.E.S.T ની ૬ બસો સળગાવી મુકી. અને બધી બસોમાં ફેંકી દઇ ગમે તે જ બસ સહીસલામત ડેપોમાં પહોંચી શકી ન હતી. ગોળીબારમાં વારંવાર ગોળીબાર- tear gas તથા લાઠી ચાર્જ કરવાની ફરજ પડી હતી. ગોળીબારમાં આવાર સુધી ૧૩ માણસો મરી ગયા છે, ૪૦૦ ઘાયલ થયા છે અને ૬૦૦ ની ધરપકડ કરવામાં આવી છે. ૪૦૦ મા રોડ સ્મશાન જેવો બોહામણો લાગતો હતો કારણ કે એકેય લાઇટ ચાલુ ન હતી અને જે ત્રણ જગ્યાયે Milk centre ના પાટીયા ધીમે ધીમે સમજતા પડ્યા હતા.

તારીખ ૨૪ મી એ માર્શલ બલ્ગેનીન તથા ક્રુશ્ચેવ મુંબઈની મુલાકાતે આવ્યા હતા તેમનું સ્વાગત મુંબઈની અલખેલી પ્રજાએ ખુબ જ ઉત્સાહ અને ઉમંગ સાથે કર્યું હતું. અત્યાર સુધીમાં કોઈને પણ આવડું મોટું માન મુંબઈની પ્રજાએ આપ્યું નહિ હોય. એરોડ્રોમથી વલ્લભભાઈ stadium સુધીના માર્ગ પર નાના-મોટા સૌ કોઈ હાથમાં Nation flag વગર U.S.S.R ના flag લઈને ઉભા હતા. ઘણી જગ્યાએ તો તેમને પુષ્પથી વધાવ્યા હતા. તેઓ મુંબઈનો લસરક કાર્યક્રમ પતાવીને ગઈકાલે પુના ગયા છે.

બીજું મેં તને ગયા પત્રમાં અમુક પ્રશ્નો પૂછ્યા હતા તેનો ઉત્તર તારા તરફથી મળ્યો નથી તો પાછા તને યાદ કરાવું છું. તારા થોડાક કપડાઓ -(Band Box માંથી Unwashed પાછા સુરેશ બુશકોટ વગેરે) મારે ત્યાં પડ્યા છે. તેનું શું કરું? રજનીભાઈને ત્યાં પહોંચાડી દઉં? Band Box માંથી Rs 1/- (one) refund થયો છે તે પણ મારી પાસે છે.

ત્યાંની life વિષે વિગતવાર પછી લખવા તે લખ્યું છે. પણ મારું માનવું અને અનુભવ એમ કહે છે કે Delay is dangerous કારણ મહુતા અને કાકા પણ શરૂઆતના પત્રોમાં એમ જ લખતા હતા કે વિગતવાર પછી લખીશ. એક વર્ષ ઉપર ટાઈમ થઈ ગયો-હજી તેમના તરફથી વિગતવાર પત્ર આયેલ જ છે ! મને હવે તો તારો ભરોસો પણ ઓછો છે. તો આ હકીકત તને પણ લાગુ ન પડે તેમ હું ઈચ્છું છું.

Ball dance નો આનંદ તો તે માણ્યો પણ તે તારા પહેલાં વારના અનુભવો અને feelings તો જણાવ્યા જ નહિ. Sq. Dance વખતે ગોરા માણસો આવેલા કે એવા જ. કોની પાસે sq. Dance શીખ્યો. હજી સુધી તે ત્યાં આગળ કોઈની મિત્રતા નથી કરી તે જાણી ખરેખર નવાઈ લાગે છે. ઘરમાં જ બહુ ટાઈમ બેસી રહ્યો લાગે છે અગર તો Book-worm બની ગયો હોઈશ ! જરા...

 

ક્લાસમાં પણ કોઈ નથી જાણી તારી સહેજ દયા આવે છે ! તારા કયા ખ્યાલો ત્યાં પહોંચીને બદલાઈ ગયા ? અત્યારે તાજા જ લખી નાખીશ તો મને પણ સાચ થાશે અને ભવિષ્ય પર મુલતવી રાખીશ તો કાયમને માટે રહી જ જશે અને તું પોતે પણ અમેરિકન ખ્યાલ વાળો થઈ જઈશ !

દિવાળી સમારંભમાં Amerikans (ગોરોને) તમે Invite કરેલા કે નહિ ? તારા ગીતો સાંભળીને તેઓ મુગ્ધ બન્યા હશે ? અને કદાચ હું ધારું છું કે હેમંતકુમારનું એકાદ ગીત હશે તો તેનો અર્થ કોઈને ઇંગ્લીશમાં જણાવ્યો હોતે તો તેઓને ખુબ જ મજા આવતે !

હું આવતી કાલે ૧૦ દિવસ માટે આગ્રા અને Industrial fair જોવા માટે દીલ્હી જાઉં છું. ત્યાંથી એકાદ દિવસ દહેરાદૂન પણ જવા ઈચ્છા છે. મોડામાં મોડો અહીં ૫/૧૨/૫૫ અગર ૭/૧૨/૫૫ ને દિવસ આવી જઈશ.

કાકા જર્મનીમાં મજામાં છે. અને આનંદમાં રહે છે. મહેતાજી પણ લંડનમાં લહેર કરે છે. અને તું પણ અમેરિકામાં મસ્ત રહેતો હોઈશ -

વાંછા વિલાસના દરે મિત્રોને યાદી. તેમજ સામેના Campus ના અમુક મિત્રોને યાદ -

દીલ્હીથી આવ્યા બાદ Embassy માં જઈશ ત્યારે તારી યાદ આપુંને ?

એજ

લેખા... (Signature/Closing initials)

ત્યાં કાંઈ નવો Hobby કેળવી કે નહિ ? કોઈ સારી વસ્તુની Blue Print મળે તો જરૂર મોકલજે અને ખ્યાલ રાખજે કે તેમાં જરૂરની વસ્તુ India માં મળે છે કે નહિ !

કાકાને તારું એડ્રેસ મોકલીશ —

 

73, Sion Road,

BOMBAY - 22

INDIA

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To:

Hemendra C. Parekh B.E. (Mech.)

616 E Daniel

CHAMPAIGN (Illinois)

(U.S.A.)

73 Sion Road,

Bombay 22

India.

26-11-55

Dear Hemendra,

This is to write that you must have received my Diwali card. Received your letters dated 16-11-55 and 20-11-55. Kaka's letter dated the 16th was also received along with your letter. I have forwarded your slips/notes to Mr. Choradara and Rajnibhai. I personally went to meet Rajnibhai, but couldn't meet him.

Last Saturday and Sunday, I got hold of a good car, in which I went on a trip to Wilson Dam near Nasik; enjoyed it very much. And currently, my uncle from 260 is here, so I have to stay with him until 11:30 - 12:00 at night; hence, every night I thought of replying, but since heavy sleep would overpower me and laziness set in, there has been an eight-day delay in replying to the letter.

Learned the details from your end. I will try to write a letter to Pravinbhai in a day or two to request all the details and convey my thoughts, but I feel I need a bit of your advice as well. The question arising in my mind is that Philadelphia University is famous, and I have heard that many people have gone there for Textile. Also, the reply I received from Adelphi here only mentioned the names of Philadelphia, New York (and a third one which I do not know at present); hence, North Carolina is a completely new name for me. In America, there are colleges in every town, and many of them might likely be like the Aligarh or Punjab University here... so if North Carolina happens to be one of those, taking admission there seems inappropriate to me. But my assumption might be wrong, and by now you must have received the bulletin of Carolina College, so kindly send me the necessary information without delay. How far is this University from Champaign? Thank you very much for the wonderfully detailed information I received from your end.

About a week ago, we had invited almost all our school friends home, and everyone met each other after many years. Mankodi, Bhatt, Dalal, Rame, and Ranchhod came, while Madhukant and Raghavjibhai didn't show up despite having given a time. Everyone was remembering you, and I also told them that you sent your regards.

Well Hemendra, I sincerely wish to leave India as soon as possible and at least before February, 1956. As I have heard from two - three people that my Stars will be worst (at least for me) in the month of February! So that is that! And hence I request you to help me in this matter, as you are already helping me at present.

Everyone is fine here. Respected mother and respected father remember you now and then. The letter received from respected Jagdishkaka on that date was read right in their presence. Both of you are making great efforts for my admission...

Respected Jagdishkaka states: "Catch the first plane and come here, and stay with me for 10–12 days. In the meantime, I will use my contacts/influence to get you placed at Bayer's Factory for practical training; they will arrange your lodging and boarding and also provide a little pocket expense every month. You will only have to make arrangements for the traveling expense." Written like this, the offer seems very great, but the major obstacle of Language is attached to it. Whereas in America, language is not an issue, but where to manage the expenses from is the problem!

Another thing—two unprecedented events took place here in the past week: one was full of joy, excitement, and enthusiasm, while the other involved rioting, goondaism, etc. On the 21st, there was a strike called by Samyukta Maharashtra activists because Mumbai was not being included in Maharashtra. That strike took an extremely aggressive turn. B.E.S.T. buses were burnt down everywhere, private cars were smashed, Milk distribution Centres were destroyed, and various other damages were caused. A total of 6 B.E.S.T. buses were set on fire, and throwing stones at all buses, hardly any bus could reach the depot safely. Firing had to be resorted to repeatedly along with tear gas and lathi charges. In the firing so far, 13 people have died, 400 are injured, and 600 have been arrested. Road 400 looked eerie like a graveyard because not a single street light was on, and the signboards of three Milk centers were smoldering slowly.

On the 24th, Marshal Bulganin and Khrushchev visited Mumbai. The lively people of Mumbai welcomed them with immense excitement and enthusiasm. Never before has the public of Mumbai given such grand honor to anyone. On the route from the aerodrome to Vallabhbhai Stadium, everyone—young and old—stood holding U.S.S.R. flags instead of National flags. In many places, they were showered with flowers. After completing a quick schedule in Mumbai, they left for Pune yesterday.

Another thing—I had asked you certain questions in the last letter to which I haven't received a reply from you, so I am reminding you again. A few of your clothes (unwashed bushcoats from Band Box, etc.) are lying at my place. What should I do with them? Should I deliver them to Rajnibhai's place? Rs 1/- (one) has been refunded from Band Box, which is also with me.

You wrote that you would write in detail about life over there later. But my belief and experience tell me that delay is dangerous, because Mehta and Kaka also used to write in their initial letters that they would write in detail later. More than a year has passed, and a detailed letter from them has yet to arrive! Now I have less faith in you too, so I hope this fact doesn't apply to you as well.

You enjoyed the Ball dance, but you didn't share your first-time experiences and feelings at all! During the Sq. Dance, were white people present or others like that? From whom did you learn Sq. Dance? Reading that you haven't made friends with anyone over there yet is truly surprising. It seems you sit at home for too much time, or perhaps you have become a bookworm!

Knowing that there is no one in class either makes me feel a bit sorry for you! Which of your views changed after reaching there? If you write them down fresh right now, it will be genuine for me too; if you postpone it for the future, it will remain deferred forever, and you yourself will adopt American views!

Did you invite Americans (whites) to the Diwali celebration or not? Must they have been mesmerized listening to your songs? And I suppose if there was a song by Hemant Kumar, and if its meaning had been explained to them in English, they would have enjoyed it very much!

Tomorrow, I am going to Agra and to Delhi for 10 days to see the Industrial Fair. From there, I also wish to go to Dehradun for a day. I will return here by 5/12/55 or 7/12/55 at the latest.

Kaka is fine in Germany and stays happy. Mehtaji is also enjoying himself in London, and you must be having a great time in America too—

Regards to all friends at Vancha Vilas, as well as to some friends at the opposite Campus—

Should I give your regards when I visit the Embassy after returning from Delhi?

That's all.

Naresh

Did you cultivate any new hobby there or not? If you find a Blue Print for any good item, do send it, and keep in mind whether the necessary materials for it are available in India or not!

I will send your address to Kaka—

73, Sion Road,

BOMBAY - 22

INDIA







No comments:

Post a Comment