Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Monday, 27 March 2017

NARESH - 12/04/1957

To,

Mr. Hemendra. C. Patekh,

1128, Ohio

LAWRENCE

(Kans.)

 

Altavista Finishing Plant, Division of Burlington Mills Corp. Hurt Va. // United piece dye works, 132 Madison Ave. New York 16 NY. // Rayon Processing Comp. of Rhode Island // 5 Cotunna St Glasgow C.3. // $12^{\text{th}}$ April. 57 // Moshassuck Pawtucket RI

 

પ્રિય હેમેન્દ્ર,

Thank you very much for your sincere efforts and I regret very much for myself.

હમણાં હમણાં regret ના પત્રો - તથા ઉત્તરો ઘણાં મળે છે એટલે તેનાથી સહેજ ટેવાઈ ગયો છું. ગયા અઠવાડિયે લગભગ દરરોજ એક Regret નો પત્ર મળતો. ખાસ અગત્યની બાબતો ન હતી એટલે વાંધો ન આવ્યો નહિતર જરૂર હાર્ટ ફેઈલ જ થઈ જાય. કેમ ખરું ને? દરરોજ ઉપરઉપરી જાણે regret ની વર્ષા શરૂ થઈ. મક્કમ હોઈશ તારો પત્ર ગઈ કાલે તારો પત્ર બપોરે મળ્યો અને ખરેખર જ્યાં આખો પત્ર મળેલ ત્યાં જ ઉભા રહીને પત્ર વાંચવા માંડ્યો અને એકવાર પત્રની શરૂઆત કરી પછી ત્યાંથી પુરો કર્યા વગર ખસવાનું દિલ ન થયું. ઓવરકોટ પહેરેલ હતો અને (જળસભર) ચોમાસું જેવું પણ હતી અને તારા સુંદર પત્રમાં એટલો બધો ગરકાવ થઈ ગયેલ કે Landlady ની દીકરી એ જ્યારે મને પુછ્યું કે "નરેશ, એટલો એટલો કેમ હસે છે? કોઈનો સારો પત્ર આવ્યો લાગે છે? મેં પણ તેની મશ્કરીને પ્રોત્સાહન જ આપ્યું કે હું - America થી એક ખાસ દોસ્તનો પત્ર છે અને હું પણ હવે અમેરિકા જાઉં છું. અહીંથી કંટાળી ગયો તો કહે "You are NOT" મેં કહ્યું મારો મિત્ર ત્યાં ખરેખર Foreign માં હોવા છતાં આનંદ મેળવે છે તેઓ Socials ગોઠવે છે - સારું સારું ખાવાનું બનાવીને ખાય છે અને પાછા મને જરા ગરમ કરવા પત્રમાં પણ લખે છે એટલે તેની અદેખાઈ આવે છે. જ્યારે અહીં મારે માટે college થી ઘર અને ઘરથી લાઈબ્રેરી અને લાઈબ્રેરીથી ઘરે એ પ્રમાણેનો જ જાણે સીધો વ્યવહાર છે કાંઈ જ Entertainment જેવું નહિ. ખેર ! જેસી ઈશ્વર ઈચ્છા.

ફોટાઓ બદલ પણ ખુબ ખુબ આભાર અને

 

ભવિષ્યમાં પણ અવારનવાર આ પ્રમાણે છેતરી ફોટાઓ તો મોકલતો રહેજે કે જેથી તે જોઈને આનંદ થાય. ફોટામાં તો Miss Vimla ઘણાં જ સારા લાગે છે અને તારા લખ્યા મુજબ તો બિલકુલ Standard હોય હોય તેમ લાગે છે કે પછી ત્યાંની American Beauty જોઈને હવે Indian જલદી નજરમાં નહિ આવતા હોય. હા અને આ વખતની તારી બધી જ વાતો મને ખૂબ જ ગમી અને તેમાં પણ ખાસ કરીને તારી લગ્ન વિષેની ઈચ્છા અને માન્યતા વિશેષ. મને તો અત્યારથી તારા લગ્નના સમાચાર સાંભળીને આનંદ થઈ ગયો તો ખરેખર સમયે શું થશે? કદાચ બનવા જોગ છે કે અહીંના શુષ્ક વાતાવરણમાં ઘણાં વખતથી છું એટલે આવા આનંદદાયક પ્રસંગ ના સમાચાર મળે એટલે સહેજે જ આનંદ થાય. અને વિશેષમાં ખરેખર અત્યારે પણ મોંમાં પાણી આવે છે કે તારા લગ્નમાં ખૂબ ખૂબ મીઠાઈ ખાવા મળશે નહિ પણ ઈર્સાણુ જ જગાડજે કે ક્યારે મારા સપનો પૂર્ણ થશે.

પહેલાંથી જ તને લખી નાખું કે મારે આ વિષય પર તારા એકેય પાકાં અને પાંચ-પાયાવગરના arguments જોઈતાં નથી. પત્રમાં તે લખ્યું છે "But I do not take it as 'granted' as most people do" એ વાક્ય મેં બરાબર વાંચ્યું છે અને અત્યારે પણ ફરીને પાંચમી વખત વાંચું પણ તે વાક્યમાં હું જરા સંમત થતો નથી માટે ટાઈમ - (વર્ષ અને મહિનો) લગ્ન કરવા ધાર્યો છે એ મને જણાવજે તેની બદલીમાં મારા તરફથી તને કોઈએ તો જ પૂરી Security પણ આ વાત હું કોઈને જણાવીશ નહિ. ફક્ત આપણા બે વચ્ચે જ એ છે ! અને કદાચ લગ્ન તો - ટૂંકમાં આપણાં ત્રણ વચ્ચે જ એ વાત રહેશે !! ખરેખર ! હેમેન્દ્ર, તારા જેવા જ વિચાર મને પણ ઘણીવાર આવતા અને આ પણ આવે છે, તારો આ વખતનો પત્ર વાંચતાં

 

દરેક લીટી જાણે મારા હૃદયમાંથી જ નીકળેલ ન હોય તેવું લાગતું. મારા જ વિચારો જાણે તે પત્રમાં સજ્જ કર્યા હોય એવું લાગ્યું. ફક્ત એક જ વાતમાં સંમત ન થયો અને તે હતી ભવિષ્યના વિચારોની વાત ! તું લખે છે કે તું ફક્ત આવતી કાલનો જ વિચાર કરે છે - એ ઘણી જ સારી રીત છે અને એ વિષે મેં ક્યાંક વાંચ્યું પણ હતું કે ફક્ત આવતી કાલનો જ વિચાર કરનાર પુરુષ આગળ વધી શકે છે અને ઉન્નતિના શિખરે પહોંચે છે, તો છતાં એ વાતને હું Practice માં મુકી નથી શકતો અને ઘણી વખત તો ઘણાં જ વર્ષો સુધી આગળ - વિચારમાં જ દોડી જાઉં છું. અને તેમાં ફરી એક જ પ્રશ્ન ઉપસ્થિત થઈ જાય છે - ત્યારે એ દોડ અટકે છે - કે "ખરેખર શું આ સર્વે મારા શેખચલ્લીના વિચારો Realise થશે કે? અને તેનો ઉત્તર મેળવવાના ફાંફામાં પડી જાઉં છું તે પણ "દુનિયાનો સફર" ની આશા ત્યજી નથી ભાગ્યે મને વિશેષ આનંદ થયો. એક નવો વિચાર આપું? આપણે બંન્ને દુનિયાની સફર સાથે કરી - ઘરે જઈને ત્યાંથી સીધા Himalaya માં ચાલ્યા જવાનો વિચાર રાખીશ.

પં. મેઘાણીકાકાને પણ લંડન તે પત્ર લખ્યો છે જાણીને ખૂબ જ આનંદ થયો અને તારી એ મદદ બદલ આભાર. સેમ્પલ માટે હું અહીં મરું છું એમ કહું તો પણ ચાલે અને પ્રથમમાં એકેય આવતું નથી. બધા Business Reputation માગે છે. શું પથરા આપે !?! સવારના અગીયાર વાગ્યાનો American Mills ના Addresses મેળવવા પ્રયત્ન કરતો તે અત્યારે શા માટે સંતોષ ન જ થાય એટલા માંડ મળ્યાં. આજ Library ટૂંપી નાખી !! હવે તેનું પરિણામ તારા હાથમાં મુકી દઉં છું [બહુ જ મહેનત મલ્યો માટે ખાસ ચાહી].

Angel Silk Mills, Inc., Rocky Mount, Va (Acetate-satin & silk

Tennessee Eastman Corp., Kingsport Tenn (Acetate)

Woodward Baldwin & Co., 43 Worth st., Newyork 8 N.Y

ઉપરની ત્રણ મીલો છે જે કાપડ (બનાવવું) બનાવે છે તેઓને તારા ના Dyers Bleachers & Processers ના રુપ્રેસો છે. (શરૂઆતમાં)

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To:

Mr. Hemendra. C. Patekh,

1128, Ohio

LAWRENCE

(Kans.)

Altavista Finishing Plant, Division of Burlington Mills Corp. Hurt Va. // United piece dye works, 132 Madison Ave. New York 16 NY. // Rayon Processing Comp. of Rhode Island // 5 Corunna St Glasgow C.3. // $12^{\text{th}}$ April. 57 // Moshassuck Pawtucket RI

Dear Hemendra,

Thank you very much for your sincere efforts and I regret very much for myself.

Lately, I have been receiving many letters—and replies—of regret, so I have become somewhat used to it. Last week, almost every day I received a Regret letter. Since there were no particularly important matters, it didn't cause a problem, otherwise my heart would have surely failed! Isn't that right? Every day, continuously, as if a rain of regret started falling. Being firm—yesterday afternoon I received your letter, and truly, standing right where I received the whole letter, I started reading it; once I started the letter, I didn't feel like moving from there without finishing it. I was wearing an overcoat and it was monsoon-like (water-filled) weather, and I was so deeply absorbed in your beautiful letter that when the Landlady's daughter asked me, "Naresh, why are you laughing so much? Seems like a good letter arrived from someone?" I even encouraged her teasing and said, "Yes—there's a letter from a special friend from America, and now I am going to America too. I am fed up with this place!" She said, "You are NOT." I said, "My friend over there, despite being abroad, is enjoying himself; they organize Socials, cook and eat delicious food, and to warm me up a bit, he even writes so in his letter, so I feel envious of him." Whereas for me here, it is just direct routine from college to home, home to library, and library to home—nothing like Entertainment. Well! As God wills.

Many, many thanks for the photos too, and keep cheating like this to send photos occasionally in the future as well, so that seeing them brings joy. In the photo, Miss Vimla looks very good, and as per your writing, she seems completely Standard—or perhaps after seeing American Beauty over there, Indians don't appeal to your eyes as easily now! Yes, and this time I liked all your thoughts very much, and among them, especially your wish and belief regarding marriage. Hearing the news of your marriage gives me joy right now, so what will happen at the actual time? Perhaps it is possible that because I have been in this dry atmosphere here for a long time, receiving news of such a joyful occasion naturally brings happiness. And moreover, even right now my mouth waters thinking that I won't get to eat lots of sweets at your marriage, but you will only arouse envy as to when my dreams will be fulfilled!

Let me write to you in advance that I don't want any of your firm and baseless arguments on this subject. In the letter you wrote, "But I do not take it as 'granted' as most people do"—I read that sentence properly, and even now I am reading it for the fifth time, but I don't agree with that sentence at all! So do let me know the time (year and month) you have planned to get married; in return, there is full Security from my side that I won't tell this to anyone. This is strictly between the two of us! And perhaps marriage—in short, that matter will remain between the three of us!!

Really, Hemendra, thoughts just like yours used to come to my mind often, and they still do. Reading your letter this time, every line felt as if it came right out of my heart. It felt as if my own thoughts were set down in that letter. Only in one matter I didn't agree, and that was the matter of future thoughts! You write that you think only about tomorrow—that is a very good approach, and I had read somewhere about it too, that a man who thinks only about tomorrow can move forward and reach the heights of success; nevertheless, I am unable to put that into Practice, and often I run ahead in thoughts for many years! And in that, one question arises again—then that running stops—"Will all these fantastical dreams of mine actually Realise?" And I get caught up in the struggle to find its answer; still, having not abandoned the hope of "traveling the world" gave me special joy.

Shall I give you a new idea? We both travel the world together—and after going home, consider going straight to the Himalayas from there!

Was very glad to know that you wrote a letter to Respected Meghanikaaka in London, and thank you for that help. As for samples, it wouldn't be wrong to say I am dying for them here, and not a single one comes at first. Everyone asks for Business Reputation. What stones would they give!?! From eleven o'clock in the morning, I was trying to get addresses of American Mills, and only now with difficulty did I get enough to not be completely satisfied. Today I thoroughly searched the whole library!! Now I leave its result in your hands [specifically wanted as it was obtained with great effort].

  • Angel Silk Mills, Inc., Rocky Mount, Va (Acetate-satin & silk)

  • Tennessee Eastman Corp., Kingsport Tenn (Acetate)

  • Woodward Baldwin & Co., 43 Worth St., New York 8 N.Y.

The above three are mills that make (weave) cloth; below them are addresses of Dyers Bleachers & Processors on your end (at the beginning).

Naresh









No comments:

Post a Comment