Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Friday, 20 January 2017

MASTAN MEGHANI - 23/02/1956

Shri, Hamendra Parekh, 1008, W. Illinois, URBANA (Illi.) U.S.A.

 

 

પ્રિય ભાઈ હેમેન્દ્ર,

પરદેશ વસવાટનો અઢીએક વર્ષનો મારો અનુભવ કહે છે કે ઘરથી દૂર દૂર પડેલો માણસ સ્વજનોનાં પત્રોની હંમેશા ઉત્સુકતાપૂર્વક રાહ જોતો હોય છે. કમનસીબે, ઘરનાં ભાઈ-બહેનોની અનિયમિતતાને કારણે મોં ઠીક ઠીક બધું સહન કરતું અને અણધારી વાતમાંથી વાગ્બાણ પણ જન્મે તે પરિણામની ગંભીરતા ક્યારેક પૂરા સંબંધોની મધુરતા ઘટાડી પણ શકે છે. રોજે ને રોજે દેશનાં પત્રોની રાહ જોવી. એ રાહમાં મોટે ભાગે નિષ્ફળતા સાંપડે. નિષ્ફળતા ક્યારેક નિરાશા પેદા કરે. અને ક્યારેક તો ગુસ્સો પણ! દયાજનક સ્થિતિ કહેવાય ખરું કે?! મને આ સ્થિતિ વચ્ચે આવી પડેલો કોઈ દૂરનાં મિત્રનો પત્ર અગર તો બિલકુલ અપરિચિત જેવા કોઈનો સ્નેહ પત્ર ખરેખર મારા હૃદયમાં આનંદની ઊર્મિ પણ લાવી શકતો— અમુક અંશે મને પણ સંતૃપ્ત થઈ જતું! હા, આ તો બધો મારો અનુભવ છે. તારા કિસ્સામાં પત્રની એટલી બધી અગત્યતા નહિ હોય છતાં પણ મારો અણધારી આવી પડેલો પત્ર તને આનંદ નહિ તો કંટાળો તો નહિ ઉપજાવે એવી આશા વધુ પડતી નહિ હોય ખરું કે?!

અચ્છા. થોડી જાત વાતો.

 

લગભગ બેએક વર્ષ સુધી હું સ્વીડનમાં હતો એતો તને કદાચ ખબર હશે. ત્યાંનાં વસવાટ દરમ્યાન કોઈ academic qualification વધારવું એવો ધ્યેય પ્રથમથી જ રાખ્યો નહિ હોવાથી મારો ભાગનો ત્યાંનો સમય ત્યાંની ખેતી, સહકારી પદ્ધતિ અને ડેરીને લગતું જાણવા-જોવામાં જ પસાર થઈ ગયેલ. જુદા જુદા ખેડૂત કુટુંબો જોડે રહેવું અને કામ કરવું, ત્યાંની folk high schools માં પણ રહેવું અને ત્યાંની ડેરીઓમાં કામ કરવું એ મુખ્ય પ્રવૃત્તિ રહેતી. ઘણી મજા પડેલી. વિગતવાર વાતો તો કદાચ રૂબરૂ મળશું ત્યારે થશે.

(અલબત્ત, સ્મૃતિપટ પર સમય જતાં અને કારનું માળખું ઘડાતાં યાદ રાખવાની શક્તિ હોતી એટલે હું પાછો ફરું ત્યાં સુધી કાંઈ યાદ રહેતો!) ત્યાર બાદ ત્રણેક મહિના ડેન્માર્કમાં પણ એવી જ રીતે રહ્યો હતો અને ત્યાર પછી દેશ પાછા ફરતાં ઈઝરાઈલ અમે ત્રણ મિત્રો ત્રણ મહિના રહેતા આવેલાં. દુનિયાના કોઈ પણ દેશની ખેતીના પ્રકાર કરતાં ઈઝરાઈલમાં આજે જે જાતની ખેતી પદ્ધતિઓ (Organisational aspects) અપનાવાઈ છે તે એ વિશિષ્ટ પ્રકારની છે. એ જોવાની લાલચ હતી અને પણ તક પણ મળી એટલે ત્યાં • ફરતા આવ્યા. ઘણું નવું જાણવાનું મળ્યું. અખંડ

 

પણ વેઠવું આવ્યું. મુસાફરીમાં સારી એવી મુશ્કેલીઓ અને મુસીબતો પણ પડી. પણ મુશ્કેલી વગર તો મુસાફરીની મજા મારી જાય!

દેશ આવ્યાને સાતેક અઠવાડિયા થયાં. આવ્યા પછી પહેલું કામ જુદી જુદી જગ્યાએ ફરી સગાં-સ્નેહીઓ અને મિત્રોને મળવાનું રાખેલું. લગભગ પૂરું થઈ ગયું. રાજકોટ ગયેલ ત્યારે તારાં અમેરિકા પ્રયાણની વિગતવાર વાતો સાંભળી ખરેખર ખૂબ જ આનંદ થયેલો. તારા થોડા ઘણાં ફોટાઓ પણ જોવા મળેલાં. શરીર સારું થયું હોય એવું લાગતું હતું! Carry on! હા, ત્યાં ગયેલાં પપ્પાને પણ મળેલાં. અહીંની ગરમીને કારણે બહુ વાર નહિ લાગે. રાજકોટમાં જ ફોઈબા-ફુવા અને બીજાં સૌને મળવા ગયેલાં એટલે હળુ ઘડીએ નીકળી ગયો. થોડા દિવસોમાં આંટો મારવા વિચાર છે. બાકી હાલની મુખ્ય પ્રવૃત્તિમાં તો (શારીરિક અને માનસિક) આરામ લેવાનું ચાલે છે! થોડાં સમયમાં, અહીં ભાવનગરમાં શરૂ થતી નવી ડેરીમાં, જોડાઈ જવાની તૈયારી કરી રહ્યો છું. ત્યાંનાં સમાચારો તારી અનુકૂળતાએ લખીશ તો ઘણો જ આનંદ થશે. દેશનાં સમાચારો (news) તને ત્યાં ક્યાંક મળે છે? કેમ? ત્યાંથી નવું જ શું એ વિશે વિગત બધું અહીંથી વાંચવાનું મળશે? કે એવો સમય જ નથી મળતો? તારી પરીક્ષા વગેરે તો પતી ગયાં હશે કેમ? ફરવાનું વગેરે કેવુંક રહે છે? ચાલો, વધુ ફરી નિરાંતે. અહીંથી સૌનાં ખૂબ સ્નેહ વંદન. — ગોપાળ — મનુભાઈ.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shri Hemendra Parekh, 1008, W. Illinois, URBANA (Illi.) U.S.A.

Dear Brother Hemendra,

My experience of living abroad for about two and a half years tells me that a person staying far away from home is always eagerly waiting for letters from loved ones. Unfortunately, due to the irregularity of family members at home, one has to bear quite a bit, and sometimes unintended verbal arrows born out of unexpected situations can even diminish the sweetness of whole relationships as a serious consequence. Waiting for letters from home every single day—and in that waiting, mostly encountering failure. That failure sometimes breeds disappointment, and at times even anger! A pathetic situation indeed, isn't it?!

Amidst such circumstances, a letter unexpectedly arriving from a distant friend or a loving letter from a virtually unknown person could truly bring a surge of joy to my heart—and to some extent, bring me contentment as well! Yes, all this is my personal experience. In your case, letters might not hold that much critical importance, yet I hope that my unexpected letter will not cause you annoyance, if not joy—that shouldn't be too much to ask, right?!

Alright. A few personal updates:

You might perhaps know that I was in Sweden for nearly two years. During my stay there, since I hadn't set a goal of pursuing higher academic qualifications right from the start, most of my time there was spent observing and learning about local agriculture, cooperative systems, and dairying. Living and working alongside different farming families, staying at local folk high schools, and working in dairies were my primary activities. It was great fun. Detailed stories can perhaps be shared when we meet in person.

(Of course, as time passes and memory shapes itself on the mind's canvas, memory fades, so who knows how much will stay with me until I return!) After that, I stayed in Denmark for about three months in a similar manner, and while returning home, three of us friends stayed in Israel for three months. Compared to farming practices anywhere else in the world, the organizational aspects of agriculture adopted in Israel today are of a unique kind. Tempted to see that and having found the opportunity, we toured around there. Got to learn a lot of new things. Had to endure...

...continuous hardships as well. Experienced quite a few difficulties and troubles during the travel. But without difficulties, the joy of travel is lost!

It has been about seven weeks since I returned home. Upon returning, the first task was to travel to various places and meet relatives, loved ones, and friends. That is nearly completed. When I went to Rajkot, I was truly overjoyed to hear detailed news of your departure to America. I even got to see a few of your photographs. It seemed like your health has improved! Carry on! Yes, I also met Papa who had gone there. Due to the heat here, it didn't take long. In Rajkot itself, I went to meet Fui-ba, Fuwa, and everyone else, so I left in a hurry. Plan to make a short trip in a few days. Otherwise, my main activity at present is taking (physical and mental) rest! In a short time, I am preparing to join the new dairy starting here in Bhavnagar.

If you write news from over there at your convenience, I will be immensely delighted. Do you get news from back home over there? How? Is there access to read details from here about what's new over there, or do you not get the time at all? Your exams, etc., must be over by now, right? How is the traveling going?

Alright, more at leisure later. Deep loving respects to you from everyone here.

— Gopal — Manubhai







No comments:

Post a Comment