Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Monday, 27 March 2017

NARESH - 24/05/1959

To, Hemendra C. Parekh,

c/o Mercantile & Industrial Development Co. (Pvt.) Ltd.,

Road No. 2 - Scheme No. 6 Sion, 22, Bombay (India)

60 Cartwright Gardens London W.C. 1. દિ. 24.5.59.

પ્રિય વિરેન્દ્ર, જત લખવાનું કે તારા તરફથી ૨૪/૪ નો લખેલ પત્ર મને અહીં આગળ ૫/૫ ના દિવસે મળેલ. પત્ર પર Sender’s name ની જગ્યાએ તારું નામ જોઈને ખૂબ જ આશ્ચર્ય થયેલ. પ્રથમ તો માનવામાં જ ન આવ્યું. પણ પત્ર ખોલીને વાંચ્યો ત્યારે ખરેખર ખૂબ જ આનંદ થયેલ. હેમેન્દ્ર ભાઈના સગપણના સમાચાર તેઓ સાથેજ ગઈ કાલે સુધી મને આપ્યા ન હતાં. કદાચ તેમનો એવો વિચાર હશે કે નરેશને તે આવે ત્યારે સંપૂર્ણ "Family" સાથે મળીને ખૂબ આશ્ચર્ય કરી મુકવો પણ પાછળથી ભાઈને ખબર પડી ગઈ હશે કે મને મારા પૂ. માતુશ્રી તેમજ તારા તરફથી News મળી ગયા છે એટલે finally તેણે મને લખ્યું છે. તેં પણ લખેલ જર્મનીના એડ્રેસ પર કે જે સ્થળ મેં માર્ચની શરૂઆતમાં છોડી દીધેલ છે. ખેર! તેં મંગાવેલ એને કિંમતમાં કાંઈ વિશેષ નથી પણ મેળવવી ખરેખર મુશ્કેલ છે તેને માટે મારે ખાસ Germany જવું પડશે અને પ્રયત્ન કરવો પડશે. Germany જવાનો ખર્ચ Vikas Corporation ના નામે કરવો પડશે બીજી પાછળથી થશે તે પ્રમાણે મોકલી આપીશ. well Virendra! હેમેન્દ્રનું engagement થયું તેનો આનંદ જરૂર હેમેન્દ્રને ખૂબ થયો જ હશે પણ તેનાથી અગણિત તેનો તેટલો જ આનંદ તને પણ થયો હશે કે finally હવે line clear મળી ગઈ. મોટા ભાઈએ Obstruction દૂર કરી નાખ્યું. ખરું ને? જનતા સુધી તારા તેમજ હેમેન્દ્ર ના લગ્ન લગભગ એક સાથે જ થશે એમ મને લાગે છે. જગદીશકાકા આપણને - જર્મનીમાં છે તેમને ૧/૬ ના રોજ હું પાછો મળવાનો છું. i.e હું અહીં આગળ તારીખ ૩૧/૫ સુધી જ રહેવાનો છું. આગળનું એડ્રેસ હેમેન્દ્ર પાસે છે. તેમ - નરેશ -

London - Regent Park, 24.5.59 6.30 p.m.

 

પ્રિય હેમેન્દ્ર, ગઈ કાલે સવારના હું Rochdale તથા Blackpool જઈને પાછો "old London" માં આવી ગયેલ અને લગભગ ૯ વાગે extremely surprising news મળ્યાં કે હેમેન્દ્રનો પત્ર છે. Well! I was under the impression that I would be seeing you in Bombay with your "family"! જીંદગીના બે મોટા પ્રશ્નો તેં પતાવ્યા અને તે વિષે તારા તરફથી કાંઈ જ સમાચાર ન હતાં. સૌરાષ્ટ્રથી એક પત્ર હતો - અને ત્યાર બાદ long "break". આવા breaks આપણે માટે જો કે quite often છે. well anyway I was much pleased to read your letter. નોકરી અને ...... મેળવ્યા બદલ ખાસ હાર્દિક અભિનંદન. પૂ. માતુશ્રી તથા વિરેન્દ્ર તરફથી શુભ સમાચારો મળી જ ગયેલ પણ absolute official news તારા તરફથી ગઈ કાલે જ મળ્યાં. હાલ મે મહિનો ચાલે છે ત્યારે તરફ લીલુછમ છે અને સૂર્ય દાદાની પૂરી મહેરબાની છે એટલે અહીં જગ્યામાં મારી આજુબાજુનું વાતાવરણ કેવું હશે તેનો ચિતાર તારી આંખ સમક્ષ ખડો થતો જ હશે. અને આવા વાતાવરણથી વિશેષ તારો પત્ર મારી બાજુમાં જ છે કે જેની અંદરનું લખાણ પણ મને અનહદ આનંદ આપે છે. મારી આસપાસ લગભગ ૬.૭ pairs તેઓની પોતાની દુનિયામાં આનંદ લઈ રહ્યા છે. મારી હાજરી તેઓને નજરમાં જ આવતી નથી !!! અને હું? હું એકલો જ છું અને અત્યારે આ પત્ર દ્વારા તને મળતો હોઉં તેવો આનંદ મેળવી રહ્યો છું કે જે આનંદ જરૂર મારા અત્યારના "પાડોશી" ના કરતાં વિશેષ જ હશે!! well dear હેમેન્દ્ર, તેં તારા પ્રથમ ૩૦ મીનીટના અને ત્યાર બાદ 90 minutes ના lectures માં પૂ. ભાભી સાહેબને શું જણાવેલ?? હજી મને યાદ છે કે તેં મને ક્રેફીલ્ડમાં તારા Future plans અને Ideas વિષે એક લાંબુ lecture આપેલ તો શું તેવા જ પ્રકારનાં તારા ઉપર લખેલ lectures હતાં કે? આપણામાં - engagement ring આપવાનો રીવાજ હોય છે? મારા પ્રમાણે તો rings ની system western છે !! (-૨૭!) 30th May - "A red letter day in your life"- વિષે તેમજ ભાભીનો ફોટો તારીખ ૮/૬/૫૯ થી ૧૩/૬ ની વચ્ચે મને - Farbenfabriken Bayer, Verkauf Farben/Export, Leverkusen-Bayerwerk

 (West Germany) ના એડ્રેસ પર મોકલી આપજે. હું તારીખ ૧/૬ ના દિવસે અહીંથી નીકળીને આખન તરફ જવાનો છું. ત્યાં તથા ફ્રેન્ડ્સના એક બે શહેરો જોઈને ક્રેફિલ્ડ જઈશ અને ત્યાં મારા સામાનની વ્યવસ્થા કરીને તારીખ ૮/૬ ના રોજ Bayer ની Factory માં જઈશ અને ત્યાર પછી બીજી Factories શરૂ થાય છે in Frankfurt અને Ludwigshafen માં. Hey you! Krefeld માં તેં colour photos પાડેલ તેનું શું થયું? I do remember that you had promised me to send them by Sea-Mail. But somehow or other they did not reach Herr Shah!! મારી land-lady તથા તેનો છોકરો Herbert ઘણી વખત મને "હેમેન્દ્રના ફોટાઓ" વિષે પુછપરછ કરતાં અને મારે presence of mind રાખીને કંઈક ઉત્તર શોધી કાઢવા પડતાં. It was really a rough job!! હેમ ભાઈ આટલી બધી ઉતાવળ-દોડધામ શા માટે કરે છે? At least give a chance to Naresh to attend your marriage ceremony. Do not be so greedy!!!! જો એક મહિનામાં જ લગ્ન કરી નાખવાનો તારો વિચાર હોય તો અત્યારથી જ તને Greetings મોકલી આપું છું. Really તારું કામકાજ India માં પહોંચ્યા બાદ ખૂબ જ speedy થઈ ગયું છે!!! થોડાં દિવસો અગાઉ Indian Postal Dept. નો Report વાંચેલ તેમાં ખાસ સમાચાર છે કે મે માસથી મુંબઈ-અમદાવાદ વચ્ચે ટપાલ વ્યવહાર માં અનહદ tension આવી ગયું છે!!!! Is this statement true?!!?? December 1958 માં હું, અનંત તથા બીજા બે મિત્રો સાઉથ Germany માં München સુધી ગાડી લઈને ગયા હતાં. ગાડી ત્રણે મિત્રો England થી લઈને આવેલ અને મને Guide તેમજ interpreter તરીકે Krefeld થી ઉપાડી લાવેલ તે સમયે પૂ. કાકાને આખનમાં મળેલ ત્યારે તું આખન ગયેલ તે વિષે મેં વાત કરેલ અને Kaka was really very sorry to miss you. જ્યારે જઈશ ત્યારે તારી ખાસ યાદી આપીશ તેમજ શુભ સમાચાર પણ આપીશ. Perhaps he may not be knowing yet? You need not thank me for my prompt reply but you should not forget

 

Naresh Shah

60 Cartwright Gardens,

London W.C. 1

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



To:

Hemendra C. Parekh,

c/o Mercantile & Industrial Development Co. (Pvt.) Ltd.,

Road No. 2 - Scheme No. 6 Sion, 22, Bombay (India)

From:

60 Cartwright Gardens London W.C. 1.

Date: 24.5.59.

Dear Virendra,

This is to let you know that your letter written on 24/4 reached me here on 5/5. Seeing your name in place of the Sender's name on the letter was very surprising. At first, I couldn't believe it. But when I opened the letter and read it, I felt really delighted. Hemendrabhai hadn't shared the news of his alliance/engagement with me until yesterday. Perhaps his idea was to surprise Naresh completely together with the whole "Family" when he arrives, but later he must have found out that I received the news from my respected mother as well as from you, so finally he wrote to me. That too, you had written to the Germany address which I had left in the beginning of March. Well! There is nothing special about the cost of what you requested, but obtaining it is truly difficult. For that, I will specifically have to go to Germany and make an attempt. The expense of going to Germany will have to be billed under Vikas Corporation; rest will be sent later as it happens.

Well Virendra! Hemendra must have certainly felt immense joy at his engagement, but infinitely equal joy must have been felt by you that finally now the line is clear—the elder brother has removed the obstruction! Isn't that right? As far as I think, your and Hemendra's marriages will happen almost together. Jagdishkaka is in Germany; I am meeting him again on 1/6, i.e., I am staying here only until 31/5. Hemendra has my next address.

Regards,

Naresh

London - Regent Park, 24.5.59 6.30 p.m.

Dear Hemendra,

Yesterday morning I returned to "old London" after visiting Rochdale and Blackpool, and around 9 o'clock I received extremely surprising news that there is a letter from Hemendra. Well! I was under the impression that I would be seeing you in Bombay with your "family"! You resolved two major questions of life, and there was no news from your end regarding that. There was one letter from Saurashtra—and after that, a long "break". Though such breaks are quite often for us. Well anyway, I was much pleased to read your letter. Special heartiest congratulations on getting the job and ......

Respected Mother and Virendra had already sent the good news, but absolute official news came from you only yesterday. Currently, it is the month of May, everything around is lush green, and Sun God's full grace is present, so a picture of what the atmosphere around me here must be like must be rising before your eyes. And more than this atmosphere, your letter is right beside me, the contents of which give me boundless joy. Around me, about 6–7 pairs are enjoying in their own world. My presence doesn't even come into their sight!!! And me? I am all alone, and right now through this letter I am deriving the joy of meeting you—a joy that is surely greater than that of my current "neighbors"!!

Well dear Hemendra, what did you share with respected Bhabhisaheb during your first 30-minute and then 90-minute lectures?? I still remember that you gave me a long lecture in Krefeld about your future plans and ideas; were the lectures written above of a similar type? Is there a custom of giving an engagement ring among us? According to me, the ring system is Western!! (-27!)

30th May - "A red letter day in your life"—regarding this, as well as Bhabhi's photo, do send it to me between 8/6/59 to 13/6 at the address:

Farbenfabriken Bayer, Verkauf Farben/Export, Leverkusen-Bayerwerk (West Germany).

I will leave from here on 1/6 and go towards Aachen. Seeing a couple of cities there and of friends, I will go to Krefeld, arrange my luggage there, and on 8/6 I will go to Bayer's Factory, after which other factories start in Frankfurt and Ludwigshafen.

Hey you! What happened to the colour photos you took in Krefeld? I do remember that you had promised me to send them by Sea-Mail. But somehow or other they did not reach Herr Shah!! My landlady and her son Herbert were asking me many times about "Hemendra's photos", and keeping presence of mind, I had to invent some answer. It was really a rough job!!

Hemabhai, why such a rush and hurry? At least give a chance to Naresh to attend your marriage ceremony. Do not be so greedy!!!! If your plan is to get married in just a month, I am sending you greetings right from now. Really, your pace of work has become extremely speedy after reaching India!!!

A few days ago, I read a report of the Indian Postal Dept. which mentioned special news that since May, immense tension has come up in postal transit between Mumbai and Ahmedabad!!!! Is this statement true?!!??

In December 1958, I, Anant, and two other friends drove a car to München in South Germany. The three friends brought the car from England and picked me up from Krefeld as a guide and interpreter. At that time, when I met respected Kaka in Aachen, I talked about your visit to Aachen, and Kaka was really very sorry to miss you. When I go, I will give your special regards as well as the good news. Perhaps he may not be knowing yet? You need not thank me for my prompt reply, but you should not forget...

Naresh Shah

60 Cartwright Gardens,

London W.C. 1









No comments:

Post a Comment