Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Monday, 27 March 2017

NARESH - 19/03/1957

To, Hemendra C. Parekh

1128 Ohio Lawrence (

Kan.) U.S.A.

 

5 Columna St. Glasgow C.3. 19th Mar. 57.

 

પ્રિય હેમેન્દ્ર, તારા તરફથી પરમ દિવસે પત્ર મળેલ અને શરૂઆતમાં જ પત્ર વાંચતા લાગ્યું કે લાઈનનું ઠેકાણું લાગતું નથી !! અને પત્ર પૂર્ણ કર્યા બાદ લાગ્યું કે તું પણ હાલ “Automation” પર Thesis લખે છે એટલે તારા મગજનું પણ Automisation થઈ ગયું લાગે છે !!!

હું સારી રીતે જાણું છું અને મેં છેલ્લા પત્રમાં પણ વિગતવાર જ લખેલ કે શ્રી મેઘાણી કોઈ ધંધાદારી માણસ નથી અને તેમને Business Connections હોય તે પણ ઘણું જ અશક્ય હોય. પણ મારા માનવા મુજબ એમ હતું કે તેઓ International friendship Organisation ચલાવતા હોવાથી ક્યાંક મારે માટે Summer Job માટે ગોઠવી શકેલ અને તે મુજબ મેં તેઓને લખ્યું છે અને ઉત્તર નથી તે જાણીને ખૂબ જ આનંદ થયો. આશા રાખું છું કે પણ તને ટૂંક મુદતમાં જ મળશે. મારા ખ્યાલ મુજબ તેઓ ઘણાં હિંદીઓને પરદેશમાં કોઈ જગ્યાએ Training માટે ગોઠવીને ત્યાં જ પોતાનો ખર્ચ કાઢી શકે તે મુજબની વ્યવસ્થા કરી આપે છે અને હું એક વ્યક્તિને ઓળખું છું તે હાલ તેઓની (મેઘાણી) મદદથી જર્મનીમાં છે. Practical training મેળવે કેતુલ તેને પોતાના Passage નો બંદોબસ્ત કર્યો હતો.

મેઘાણી (લંડન) નું સરનામું તે પાછળ લખવાનું ભૂલી ગયો નીકળ્યું શરૂઆતમાં જ ! પત્રના પહેલાં પાને !! Another proof of “Automisation” of your mind so please be careful and if advisable drop the idea of thesis or change the subject !!! Any way, તારા એ વિષય પર નિરાંતે મને વિગતવાર લખીશ? મને એ વિષયમાં ખૂબ જ રસ છે તો ગઈ વાર ટાઈમ મેળવીને – – ના એમ જ કરજે કે જ્યારે તારી Thesis ની ટાઈપ કોપી કરાવ ત્યારે મારે માટે પણ એક copy કરાવજે અને તુરત મને પોસ્ટ કરી દેજે. કરીશ ને ?

 

હા, તો લંડનવાળા તારા પૂ. મેઘાણીમામા વિષે જાણું પણ મને લાગે છે કે “હું” તેઓને લખી શકું તેટલા પરિચયમાં “હું” તેઓની સાથે નથી. જો તેઓ Textile Import-export કરતા હોય તો જરૂર મને ઉપયોગી થઈ પડે પણ તે તને ભાગ્યે જ ખબર હશે !! કેમ ખરું ને? હાલ તો ઘણી જગ્યાએ ફાંફા માર્યા પણ જેમ દિવસો પસાર થતાં જાય છે અને પરિણામ શૂન્ય જ રહે છે તેમ મગજની stability ઓછી થતી જાય છે. કાંઈ જ સમજ પડતી નથી કે શું કરવું – ક્યાં જવું? વેકેશન પુરા ચાર માસનું છે. વચ્ચે તો કંટાળીને Unesco ની Book લઈને અંદર Scholarship વિષે વાંચતો હતો અને તેમાંથી ત્રણ ચાર addresses અમેરિકા ના મેળવી શક્યો છું કે જ્યાં અરજી કરવાથી અને નસીબ જોર કરતાં હોય તો વગર પૈસે તને મળી શકાય અને અમેરિકન Family ની મહેમાનગતીનો લહાવો મળે પણ તે એડ્રેસો ખૂબ જ બાકી પાસે જ છે છેલ્લી Date 1st Apr. છે અને મને નથી લાગતું કે હું તેઓને તે પહેલાં પત્ર લખી શકું !!! ઘરે સરનામા પર છ અઠવાડિયાથી - ૨-૩ મહિના સુધી - ૬ મહિના સુધી રહેવા અને ભણવાની જોગવાઈ છે. e.g.

  1. Institute of world affairs, 522 Fifth Avenue Room No. 831, New York 36 N.Y. for 7 weeks in July & August to further world peace!!! –
  2. Lisle Fellowship Inc. 204 South State Street. Ann Arbor - Michigan for 6 weeks for participation in International Institute of Human relations વિગેરે...

પરદેશમાં રહીને પુરી પરદેશી લાઈફનો આનંદ માણે છે જાણીને ખૂબ જ આનંદ થયો અને અહીંના શુષ્ક વાતાવરણમાંથી થોડા મહિના માટે તારી પાસે આવવાનું મન થઈ આવે છે પણ M Vitamin ની યાદ આવતાં જ એ વિચારને લક્ષી જવા પ્રયત્ન કરવો પડે છે !!

અભ્યાસમાં સારો એવો Progress કર્યો છે જાણીને વિશેષ આનંદ થયો. અને હિંદ બે વર્ષમાં પાછા ફરવાનો ટાઈમ પણ ભરાવવા જ આવ્યો કહેવાય !!!!

 

Finally એક કામ – ખૂબ અગત્યનું – જો કે તે કેટલો અંશે તું પૂર્ણ કરી શકીશ તે વિષે પૂરી શંકા છે પણ તેમ છતાં થોડી આશા એ શંકાને વશ કરવા પુરતી છે!! હાલ હું “America’s Fabric” નામની બુકનો અભ્યાસ કરું છું અને તેમાં American fabrics ના ફોટા જોઈને ત્યાંના Fabrics પ્રત્યક્ષ જોવાનું મન થયું છે તો ફક્ત Sample pieces 6” x 6” કે 10” x 8” જેવા ત્યાંથી બની શકે તો મોકલને. ખાસ કરીને Printed Samples of Rayon and Man-made fibres – like Nylon – Perlon terylene etc.. કેમ અઘરું છે ને? પણ હું માનું છું કે ત્યાંની બે ચાર મોટી મીલ પર પત્ર લખજે કે India થી ધંધાના વિકાસ અર્થે આવ્યા છું અને આપના સેમ્પલ જોવા તત્પર છું વિગેરે એટલે Samples નો ઢગલો થઈ જશે અગર કોઈ મોટા સ્ટોર્સમાં કામ કરતી (બહેનની) દોસ્તી કરી લેજે અને કાર્ય સરળ બની જશે અને તેના બદલામાં દાંડિયા રાસ તેને સંપૂર્ણ શીખવી દેવાની Guarantee આપી દેજે... બધું મારા માટે જ કરવાનું !!!! તો ક્યારે આશા રાખું કે અને તને યોગ્ય લાગે અને ખબર હોય કે તારા લંડનના પૂ. માસા Textile Materials માં પણ dealing કરે છે તો તેઓને મારા વિષે અને બની શકે તો Samples વિષે લખજે એટલે પત્રની લાઈનદોરી શરૂ થઈ જશે પછી વાંધો નહિ આવે. ઠીક ત્યારે ઘણી તકલીફ અને કામ બતાવ્યા છે તો માફ કરજે અને Sincerely Thank you very very Much.

પૂ. કાકાનો પત્ર ૧૪ તારીખે હતો ટૂંક મુદતમાં તેઓ મથક Heidelberg થી Aachen shift થવાના છે. હાલ તેઓ Austria માં છે. April 6 તારીખે Heidelberg પાછા આવશે. એમનું Latest News – I mean most exciting news જરૂર લખજે. નરેશ.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To:

Hemendra C. Parekh

1128 Ohio Lawrence

(Kan.) U.S.A.

5 Columna St. Glasgow C.3. 19th Mar. 57.

Dear Hemendra,

Received a letter from you the day before yesterday, and right at the beginning of reading the letter, it felt like your train of thought was lost!! And after finishing the letter, it felt like since you are currently writing a Thesis on "Automation", your brain seems to have undergone "Automisation" as well!!!

I know very well, and I had written in detail in my last letter too, that Mr. Meghani is not a businessman, and it is highly unlikely that he would have business connections. But according to my belief, since he runs an International Friendship Organisation, he might be able to arrange a Summer Job for me somewhere, and accordingly I wrote to him; knowing that there is no reply gave me great pleasure. I hope you will also get it in a short period. As per my understanding, he makes arrangements for many Indians abroad for training somewhere so that they can manage their own expenses there, and I know one person who is currently in Germany with his (Meghani's) help. To gain practical training, Ketul had made arrangements for his own passage.

You forgot to write Meghani's (London) address at the back, but it turned out to be right at the beginning! On the first page of the letter!! Another proof of “Automisation” of your mind so please be careful and if advisable drop the idea of thesis or change the subject !!! Any way, will you write to me about that subject in detail at leisure? I am very interested in that subject, so whenever you get time—no, do it like this: when you get a typed copy of your thesis done, get a copy made for me as well and post it to me immediately. Will you?

Yes, so I know about your respected Meghanimama in London, but I feel that "I" am not familiar enough with him to write to him. If he deals in Textile Import-Export, then he would certainly be useful to me, but you would hardly know that!! Isn't that right? Currently, I have made frantic efforts in many places, but as the days pass and the result remains zero, the stability of my mind decreases. I don't understand at all what to do—where to go? The vacation is a full four months long. In between, out of boredom, I was reading about scholarships in a Unesco book and managed to get three or four addresses in America from it, where by applying and if luck favors, I could meet you without money and enjoy the hospitality of an American family; but those addresses are very close to their deadlines—the last date is 1st Apr. and I don't think I can write a letter to them before that!!! There are provisions to stay and study at home addresses from six weeks to 2–3 months to 6 months. e.g.

  • Institute of world affairs, 522 Fifth Avenue Room No. 831, New York 36 N.Y. for 7 weeks in July & August to further world peace!!! –

  • Lisle Fellowship Inc. 204 South State Street. Ann Arbor - Michigan for 6 weeks for participation in International Institute of Human relations etc...

Was very glad to know that living abroad, you are enjoying a complete foreign life, and I feel like coming to you for a few months out of this dry atmosphere here; but as soon as the memory of "M Vitamin" (Money) comes, I have to try to suppress that thought!!

Was especially glad to know that you have made good progress in your studies. And the time to return to India in two years can be said to be approaching soon!!!!

Finally, one task—very important—though I have full doubts about to what extent you will be able to complete it, nevertheless a little hope is enough to subdue that doubt!! Currently, I am studying a book named "America’s Fabric", and seeing the photos of American fabrics in it, I feel like seeing those fabrics in person; so if possible, send sample pieces like 6” x 6” or 10” x 8” from there. Especially Printed Samples of Rayon and Man-made fibres – like Nylon – Perlon terylene etc.. Why, is it difficult, right? But I believe that you should write a letter to two or four big mills there saying that you have come from India for business development and are eager to see their samples etc., so there will be a heap of samples; or make friends with a (sister/lady) working in some big store and the task will become simple, and in return give a guarantee to teach her Dandiya Raas completely... all to be done for me!!!! So when should I expect it? And if you feel it appropriate and happen to know that your respected Uncle in London also deals in Textile Materials, write to him about me and if possible about samples, so the chain of correspondence will start, and then there won't be a problem. Okay then, I have assigned a lot of trouble and work, so please forgive me, and Sincerely Thank you very very Much.

Respected Kaka's letter was dated 14th; in a short time, they are going to shift their base from Heidelberg to Aachen. Currently, he is in Austria. On April 6th, he will return to Heidelberg. Do write his latest news—I mean the most exciting news.

Naresh






No comments:

Post a Comment