To, HEMENDRA Parekh
B.E. (Mech). 1008 W Illinois
URBANA
(Illinois) U.S.A
૭૩
સાયન રોડ મુંબઈ ૨૨.
૨૧-૨-૫૬
પ્રિય
હેમેન્દ્ર,
જાત
લખવાનું કે તારો પત્ર
ગઈ કાલે રાત્રે આઠ
વાગે હું દાદરથી આવ્યો
ત્યારે મળ્યો. બે ત્રણ દિવસથી
તને પત્ર લખવાનું ધાર્યા
થતા કરતી પરંતુ તારો
પત્ર મારા તરફ રવાના
થયો હોય તે ઠીક
ધરાવતો હતો ગઈ કાલે
મને બે પત્રો અમેરિકાથી
મળ્યા દાદર ગયા ત્યાં
Philadelphia નો પત્ર મળ્યો અને
રાત્રે ઘરે આવ્યો ત્યાં
મારા આશ્ચર્ય વચ્ચે બીજો તારો પત્ર
મળ્યો ! કામ કાજ બહુ
વધી ગયું હોય તેમ
લાગે છે કેમ ખરું
ને ? Philade વાળા ખૂબ જ
Promptly and politely જવાબો
આપે છે. મુંબઈ તે
ફેબ્રુઆરી February માં admission આપ્યું હતું કે જે
બાબત તને લખેલ હતું.
February ની ૧૫ મી એ
હું ત્યાં પણ આવી ગયા
હોત પરંતુ સંજોગો સાનુકૂળ ન નીકળ્યા. મારા
પૂ. પિતાશ્રી તથા પૂ. માતુશ્રી
પાલીતાણા જાત્રા કરવા ગયા હતા
અને મારા પૂ. મોટાકાકા
પણ દેશમાં ગયા હતા એટલે
ટાઈમ પુરતો ન મળ્યો. તેઓ
જાન્યુઆરીની ૨૦ મી તારીખે
આવ્યા ત્યારે મેં Philadel. વિષે પૂ. મોટાકાકા
વાત કરી તેમનો Textiles માટે
કયો દેશ સારો છે
તે વિષે મત માંગ્યો
ત્યારે તેઓ પણ confuse થઈ
ગયા. ઘડીમાં કહે England સારું તો ઘડીમાં કહે
America સારું ત્યાં કહે Germany સારું એટલે અંતે તેઓએ
મને કહ્યું કે હું બે
ત્રણ દિવસમાં તપાસ કરીને કહીશ.
પણ હજી તેમના બે
ત્રણ દિવસ પુરા થયા
જ નથી લાગતા ! મેં
Philadelphia પત્ર લખીને તેને મારો final વિચાર
January ના અંતમાં જણાવીશ તેમ લખેલ પણ
ટાઈમસર ન જણાવી શક્યો
એટલે Feb. 2 તારીખે તેનો reminder આવ્યો કે અમે તે
તારીખ ૧ સુધી રાહ
જોઈશું. એટલે મેં Feb. 3 તારીખે
તેને ઉત્તર આપ્યો કે સંજોગ અનુસાર
પત્ર લખવામાં અને કારણોસર ત્યાં
આવી શકું તેમ નથી
તો મારે માટે September Semester માં જગ્યા
રાખવા મહેરબાની કરશો. તેનો ઉત્તર પણ
તારા પત્ર સાથે આવી
ગયો છે કે I am very sorry that you are not able to be
with us this semester. We will be glad to reserve a place for you in September
1956 Session Thank you for prompt reply."
હવે
આ બાજુ ઇંગ્લેન્ડવાળાની હાલ
વતી ઠંડીને કારણે બુદ્ધિ સાવ નાશ ગઈ
હોય તેમ લાગે છે.
કારણ કે તેઓ જે
ઉત્તર આપે છે તે
વાંચીને હું તો આશ્ચર્ય
થાઉં છું પણ અહીંનો
University Bureau નો
secretary તો મારાથી પણ વધુ આશ્ચર્ય
અનુભવે છે. મેં ચોખ્ખું
લખ્યું છે કે Manchester admission મળે તો
ત્યાં નહિતર Salford Textile માટે Try કરે તો તેનો
ઉત્તર Mr. Kasyp કરીને London થી એ આપે
છે કે Salford માં Textile નો Course જ નથી. શું
તે એમ માનતા હશે
કે મારી અને અહીંના
Secretary ની બુદ્ધિ જતી ગઈ છે?
તેની પહેલા Miss Kitchen કરીને ત્યાં હતી તેને મને
Aug. 23 55 માં જવાબ આપ્યો હતો
કે આ વર્ષ માટે
Mr. Shah ની
application ખૂબ મોડી છે પણ
તેમનો વિચાર હોય તો ૧૯૫૬
માટે Dec. 55 પહેલા application re-new કરાવે તો ૧૯૫૬ માં
તેમને admission મળી જશે. આ
બન્ને Contradictory
Letter તરફ મેં અહીંના Secretary નું
ધ્યાન દોર્યું હતું તે પણ
વિચાર
શું
કરે ! તેમ છતાં તેને
આ બાબત વિષે Mr. Kasyp નું
ધ્યાન ખેંચ્યું છે હવે આગળ
પર શું Mr. Kasyp કરે છે તે
જોવાનું છે.
આ
તરફ પૂ. કાકાને તેમનો
મને ત્યાં urgently બોલાવતો પત્ર મળેલ તેનો
ઉત્તર મેં આપ્યો છે
કે જો તમને ૬૫%
લાગતા હોય કે મને
ત્યાં admission મળી જશે તો
હું અહીંથી વહેલામાં વહેલી તકે ત્યાં આવી
પહોંચીશ. તેમનો પત્ર ૪-૬
દિવસમાં આવવો જોઈએ.
વિશેષમાં
ગઈ કાલે રાત્રે પૂ.
મોટાકાકાએ Direct
question પૂછીને સહેજ nervous કરી મુક્યો. રાત્રે
હું દાદરથી ઘરે જ્યાં દાખલ
થયો કે તરત પૂ.
કાકાએ પ્રશ્ન કર્યો કે તારો હવે
વિચાર શું છે ? કાંઈ
ખબર પડે તો સારું
કે પછી પૂ. જયસુખલાલને
મદદ કરવા માટે જ
ત્યાંજ ગયા કરવું છે
તો ૪૦ રૂા. નો
પગાર નક્કી કરાવી આપું વગેરે. આ
વાત સાંભળી ખૂબ જ upset થઈ
ગયો. તેઓએ પણ મને
પુછ્યું કે Foreign જવાનો વિચાર હતો તેનું શું
થયું. મેં તેમને જણાવ્યું
કે પૂ. જગદીશ કાકાને
પત્ર લખ્યો છે તેના ઉત્તર
પર આધાર રાખે છે
અને તેમનો જવાબ થીસો આવશે
તો America માં September નું admission હાથમાં છે તો ત્યાં
જઈશ. ત્યારે તેમણે પુછ્યું શેના અભ્યાસ માટે
જવાના છો? મેં કહ્યું
કે Textile ના અભ્યાસ માટે
વિચાર હાલ તો છે
કારણ કે હું માનું
છું કે જે કાંઈ
અનુભવ મેં આઠ મહિનામાં
મેળવ્યો છે તે મને
કામ લાગે. તેમ છતાં જો
બીજી કોઈ લાઈન Manufacturing ની સારી
હોય તો તેને માટે
જવા માટે મને વાંધો
નથી. મારા માનવા પ્રમાણે
India માં first કહી શકાય તેવી
કોઈ Manufacturing ની લાઈન થઈ
અભ્યાસ કરું પણ મને
હાલ તો વિષે કોઈ
ખ્યાલ નથી. મને મહેન્દ્ર
અઠવાડીયા પહેલા કહેતો કે Camphor નું સોડિયમ કારખાનું
સિધ્ધમાં નથી પણ તે
કેરલ સંશે આયા છે
તે મને ખબર નથી,
કોઈ લાઈન suggest કરજ.
હવે
આ બધા ગુંચવાડામાંથી મુક્ત
થવા માટે તારી સલાહની
અત્યંત જરૂર છે. તો
થોડા દિવસો વિચાર કરવા માટે સહેજ
પણ શાંતિ થી મને સાચી
સલાહ આપજે. કેમ આપીશ ને
? ના તો શેનો પાડી
શકે ?
મારો
વિચાર છે કે Germany થી
કાકા સાહેબ તો કુલ છએક
મહિનામાં ત્યાં જતો રહીશ અને
ત્યાં admission મળે તો ઠીક
નહિતર Factories માં કામ કરીને
experience લઈશ અને England નો પણ ત્યાં
સુધીમાં definite Reply
આવી જશે એટલે ત્યાં
પણ નહિં જવું વની
શકે તો America - છેવટ તારી જ
છાયામાં ! America
Textile માટે મારા માનવા પ્રમાણે
સારું છે પણ મને
Expensive ખૂબ જ લાગે છે
એટલે પગ સહેજ પાછા
પડે છે.
હું
ત્યાંથી ટાઈમ મળે ત્યારે
કુરસદે Pravin Shah ને Philadel. વિષે પુછાવો જોઈએ.
શું શું વિષય હોય
છે ? Minimum કેટલા ટાઈમમાં અભ્યાસ પુરો થઈ શકે
? ખાસ કરીને Maths અહીંના કયા standard સુધીનું જાણતા હોવા જોઈએ તે
પુછાવજો, કારણ કે Inter નું
Maths કેરું પડે તેમ હોય
તો તેની શરૂઆત કરી
નાખું. અને મને Campus ની
બહાર રહેવાની રજા આપશે કે
કેમ તે વિષે તેમનો
શું મત છે. તેઓ
ક્યાં રહે છે કારણ
કે આપણે completely vegetarian રહ્યા એટલે તે વિચાર
કરવો પડે. વગેરે અને
તને ઠીક લાગે તે
બધી બાબતો વિષે મારા બદલે
તું પુછાવો જોઈએ કારણ કે
Inland Postal expense તમને
બહુ નહિં લાગતો હોય
જ્યારે અહીંથી મને અને તેમને
પત્ર વ્યવહાર કરવામાં રૂપિયો થઈ પડી જાય.
મારે તો હજી છો
કે સ્વાર્થ છે એટલે ખર્ચ
કરું તો વાંધો નહિ
પણ તેમને વગર કામો હેવો
ખર્ચ થઈ જાય. બહુ
કામ તને સોંપો હોંશ
કેમ ખરું ને ? હવે
કાંઈ બીજી Light talks કરીએ. આનાથી તો મારૂં પણ
મગજ ફરી ગયું તો
વાત તો રું તેમાં
નવાઈ નહિ.
Well dear, અહીંના તોફાનથી કાંઈ અમને નુકશાન
થયું નથી, સબ સલામત
હૈ. ફક્ત મને એક
ગુંડો ૨૬મી જાન્યુઆરીએ ડૉમ
ના મકાનના Compound માં બપોરના દમ
આપી ગયો હતો. હાથમાં
૯ થી ૧૦ ઇંચ
ની છરી હતી અને
મને ધમકાવતો કે અહીં શા
માટે ઉભો છે પણ
તેને મેં દાદ ન
આપતા તેને છરીનો Throw કરતો
હોય તેમ Action કરી મને Order કર્યો
કે અંદર ચાલ્યો જાવ.
ઠીક ત્યારે આ ચાલ્યા અંદર.
અને તેથી વિશેષ કાંઈ
ન બન્યું.
તને
હજી ત્યાં કોઈ 'મિત્ર' મળ્યું
નથી તે વાંચી ખરેખર
આશ્ચર્ય થાય છે. America તો
Most Civilised અને
Advance Country છે તેમ છતાં તારા
લખ્યા મુજબ તેવું કાંઈ
નથી. જ્યારે તેની પાસે Germany ઘણું
જ Advance હોય તેમ કાકાના
પત્રોથી લાગે છે તો
શું સારું જ લખે છે
ને ? કે મને અંધારામાં
રાખવા માંગે છે. હું માનતો
નથી કે તને ખ્યાસ
પણ સાથે કે નરેશને
હું અંધારામાં રાખીશ. બીજું તું Blue Prints મોકલાવતો જ નથી ! મેં તને કેટલી
વાર યાદ કરી કરીને
કહેલું કે America થી કાંઈ નાની
નાની વસ્તુઓ બનાવવાની Blue Prints જરૂર મોકલજે. House decorative ના Idea પણ હવે તો
ઘણા મળી ગયા હશે
પણ તું તો કાંઈ
જ જણાવતો નથી.
તારી
exam. નું result જાણ્યું. આટલા બધા up-set થવાની
જરૂર નથી. My dear friend do not
forget that slow and steady wins the game. અને
હજી તો ત્યાં નવો
નવો રહ્યો એટલે Set થતાં પણ સહેજે
૪-૬ મહિના તો
લાગે ને એટલે આગલી
Exam તો જરૂર તને બધામાં
A grade જ મળવાનો છે. Take it from me that
much.
Vacation ક્યારથી પડ્યું છે ? ખૂબ જ
મજા કરી હોય તેમ
પત્રથી તો જાણો છો
પણ શું તેઓ તને
Purely Vegetarian food serve કરે
છે ?
And finally Yes dear Hemendra!
You are quite right that this is the most ripe time for me to leave India, so
that we both could bring our dreams to reality. But unfortunately God does not
seem to help me. Inter Sc. થી
India છોડવાના પ્રયત્નો કરતો આવ્યો છું
પણ બધા જ નિષ્ફળ
નીવડ્યા છે અને વધુમાં
મને ખૂંચે છે પણ મારૂં
મન જ્યાં સુધી કાંઈ Definate studies માટે ન
ધરાય ત્યાં સુધી Risk લઈને આવવા માનતું
નથી. જો કે મનીષા,
કાકા બધા તારા પત્રો
દ્વારા મને ત્યાં આવવાનો
ઉત્સાહ જળવાઈ રહે છે. કાકા
પણ તારા જેમ જ
લખે છે કે Take a slogan from me -"Action" Do
not think much it will trouble you very much. Put the thought into Action - and
you will be definatly successful. I too do beleive his words but any how I do
not seem to have enough courage. જો
કે તું પણ લખે
છે કે Be Bold and go to
Germany.... This challenging world has to offer so many opportunities to those
who can risk. You are also right and I hope within a short time my fate will be
decided. I will be eagerly waiting for your nice and long letter. What is
this Urbana? Have you changed the town? How far is urbana from Chaimpaigh.
Well wish you the best of luck during your vacation. પૂ. માતુશ્રી
તથા પૂ. પિતાશ્રીએ યાદ
લખાવી છે. ગઈ કાલે
જ યાદ કર્યા હતા.
73 SION ROAD, BOMBAY 22 INDIA.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To:
Hemendra Parekh
B.E. (Mech). 1008 W Illinois
URBANA (Illinois) U.S.A.
73 Sion Road, Mumbai 22
21-2-56
Dear Hemendra,
This is to write that I received your letter yesterday evening at eight o'clock when I returned from Dadar. I had been planning to write to you for two or three days, but I felt a strong hunch that your letter was on its way to me. Yesterday I received two letters from America! When I went to Dadar, I received a letter from Philadelphia, and when I arrived home at night, to my surprise, I received your letter as the second one! It seems work has increased a lot, isn't that true? The people at Philade[lphia] reply very promptly and politely. In Mumbai, they gave me admission for February, regarding which I had written to you. I would have arrived there by February 15th, but circumstances did not turn out favorable. My respected father and respected mother had gone on a pilgrimage to Palitana, and my respected elder uncle had also gone to our native place, so I didn't get enough time.
When they returned on the 20th of January, I spoke to my respected elder uncle about Philadelphia and asked for his opinion on which country is good for Textiles. He got confused too. One moment he says England is good, the next moment he says America is good, then he says Germany is good! So finally he told me that he would inquire and tell me in two or three days. But it seems his two or three days haven't ended yet! I wrote a letter to Philadelphia saying I would inform them of my final decision by the end of January, but couldn't do so on time, so on Feb. 2 their reminder came stating that they would wait until the 1st of that month. So on Feb. 3 I replied to them that due to circumstances, I could not write earlier and for certain reasons I cannot come there right now, so please kindly reserve a seat for me in the September Semester. Their reply also arrived along with your letter:
"I am very sorry that you are not able to be with us this semester. We will be glad to reserve a place for you in September 1956 Session Thank you for prompt reply."
Now on this side, it seems the brains of the England folks have completely frozen due to the current cold weather! Because reading the replies they give, not only am I astonished, but the secretary of the University Bureau here experiences even greater surprise than me! I clearly wrote that if I get admission in Manchester, fine, otherwise try for Textile in Salford. To that, a Mr. Kasyp gives a reply from London saying there is no Textile course in Salford at all! Do they assume that the secretary here and I have lost our minds? Before him, there was a Miss Kitchen there, who replied to me on Aug. 23, '55 stating that for this year Mr. Shah's application is very late, but if he intends to, he should re-new the application before Dec. '55 for 1956, and he will get admission in 1956. I drew the attention of the secretary here toward both these contradictory letters, and he too was left thinking what to do! Nonetheless, he has drawn Mr. Kasyp's attention to this matter, so now we have to see what Mr. Kasyp does next.
On this end, respected Kaka received a letter urgently calling me there, to which I replied that if you feel 65% sure that I will get admission there, I will reach there from here at the earliest possible. His letter should arrive in 4–6 days.
In addition, yesterday night respected elder uncle made me slightly nervous by asking a direct question. As soon as I entered home from Dadar last night, respected uncle immediately questioned: "What is your intention now? It would be good to know, or if you just want to keep going there to help respected Jaysukhlal, I can get a salary of 40 Rs. fixed for you," etc. Hearing this made me very upset. They also asked me what happened to the plan of going abroad. I informed them that I have written a letter to respected Jagdish Kaka and it depends on his reply; if his reply is favorable, I have the September admission in America in hand, so I will go there. Then he asked, "For what studies are you going?" I said that currently I am thinking of studying Textile, because I believe that whatever eight months of experience I have gained will be useful to me. Nonetheless, if any other manufacturing line is good, I have no objection to going for that. According to my belief, I should study some manufacturing line that can be called first in India, but currently I have no idea about it. Mahendra was telling me a week ago that the sodium/camphor factory is not in Siddhpur but in Kerala, though I don't know for sure; do suggest some line.
Now, to get out of all this confusion, I desperately need your advice. So think for a few days and give me genuine advice with a peaceful mind. You will give it, won't you? How could you say no?
My plan is that within about six months I will go to where Kaka Saheb is in Germany, and if I get admission there, fine, otherwise I will work in factories to gain experience. By then a definite reply from England will also have come, so going there might not even happen, and ultimately it will be America—finally under your shadow! In my opinion, America is good for Textile, but it feels very expensive to me, which is why my steps pull back a little.
When you get time over there at leisure, you should inquire with Pravin Shah about Philadelphia. What subjects are there? What is the minimum time in which studies can be completed? Especially ask up to which standard of Maths here one should know, because if Inter Maths is required, I can start preparing for it. And what is their opinion on whether they will permit me to live outside the campus? Where do they stay? Because we are completely vegetarian, so that has to be considered. Etc., and whatever else you feel appropriate, please inquire on my behalf, because inland postal expenses wouldn't cost you much, whereas for me to correspond back and forth from here costs a rupee each time. Since I still have my self-interest, I wouldn't mind spending, but it causes them unnecessary expense. I am assigning you a lot of work, right? Now let's have some other light talks. My own mind has gone spinning with all this, so if yours does too, no wonder.
Well dear, we suffered no harm from the riots/disturbances here; all is safe. Only one goonda threatened me on 26th January in the compound of the Dome building in the afternoon. He had a 9 to 10-inch knife in his hand and was threatening me, asking why I was standing there. But when I didn't pay head to him, he made an action as if throwing the knife and ordered me to go inside. Fine then, so I went inside. Nothing more happened than that.
Reading that you haven't found any 'friend' there yet really surprises me. America is a most civilized and advanced country, yet according to what you wrote, there is nothing of the sort. On the other hand, from Kaka's letters, Germany seems far more advanced—so is he writing only the good parts, or does he want to keep me in the dark? I don't believe you would ever think of keeping Naresh in the dark. Another thing—you aren't sending blue prints at all! I reminded you so many times to send blue prints for making small items from America. You must have gathered many ideas for house decoration by now, but you aren't informing me about anything.
Learned the result of your exam. There is no need to get so upset. My dear friend do not forget that slow and steady wins the game. And since you are still new there, it easily takes 4–6 months to get set. So in the next exam you are definitely going to get an 'A' grade in everything. Take it from me that much.
When did the vacation start? It seems from your letter that you enjoyed a lot, but do they serve you purely vegetarian food?
And finally Yes dear Hemendra! You are quite right that this is the most ripe time for me to leave India, so that we both could bring our dreams to reality. But unfortunately God does not seem to help me. Inter Sc. Ever since then, I have been making efforts to leave India, but all have proved failures. Furthermore, it bothers me, but my mind does not agree to take a risk and come until I am convinced about some definite studies. Although Manisha and Kaka, through all your letters, maintain my enthusiasm to come there. Kaka also writes just like you: "Take a slogan from me - 'Action'. Do not think much it will trouble you very much. Put the thought into Action - and you will be definitely successful." I too do believe his words, but somehow I do not seem to have enough courage. Although you also write: "Be Bold and go to Germany.... This challenging world has to offer so many opportunities to those who can risk." You are also right and I hope within a short time my fate will be decided. I will be eagerly waiting for your nice and long letter. What is this Urbana? Have you changed the town? How far is Urbana from Champaign? Well wish you the best of luck during your vacation. Respected mother and respected father have sent their regards. They remembered you just yesterday.
73 SION ROAD, BOMBAY 22 INDIA.





No comments:
Post a Comment