Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Monday, 27 March 2017

NARESH - 19/08/1956

To, Hemendra C. Parekh

B.E. 4835, S. Martindale DETRIOT (Mich.) (U.S.A.)

 

73 Sion Road, BOMBAY - 22. INDIA. 19-8-56.

પ્રિય હેમેન, જત લખવાનું કે તારો પત્ર ૩-૪ દિવસ પહેલાં મળ્યો અને જિજ્ઞાસાથી પહેલીવાર તો ઉતાવળમાં એકેવાર આખો પત્ર વાંચી ગયો કારણ કે મેં તારી સલાહ માગી હતી એટલે તે વાંચવા આતુર હતો પરંતુ... પહેલા વાચને તો તું શું કહેવા માગે છે તે જ મારા મગજમાં ઉતર્યું નહિ. બીજીવાર વાંચ્યો અને કાંઈક તારો ખ્યાલ આવ્યો પછી તો ઘણીવાર વાંચી નાખ્યો અને આખરે અત્યારે મારા સવાલનો કાંઈક ઉત્તર મળ્યો હોય તેવું લાગ્યું એટલે તને ઉત્તર આપવા બેઠો છું. લગભગ ત્રણ દિવસે તારો પત્ર સમજાયો! માંદગી પછી તારા લખ્યા મુજબ મન નબળું પડી જવાથી આમ બન્યું હશે કદાચ. માંદગી દરમ્યાન તો મારું મન ખૂબ જ નબળું પડી ગયેલ તે તો મને ખ્યાલમાં છે પણ હજી તેની અસર સંબંધિત છે તે તો તારા પત્રથી જાણ્યું. તેં તારું નામ પણ જરા બદલ્યું છે તે પણ અત્યારે જ ખ્યાલ ગયો. સારું છે કે નામ સુધારીને Hemen કર્યું છે હું તો પહેલાં Hi-men જ સમજ્યો! કદાચ અમેરિકાની હવાથી મને લાગ્યું કે તું Hi-men જેવો બની ગયો હોય અને તે મુજબ જરા નામ પણ બદલ્યું હોય!

તારા છેલ્લા બે પત્રોથી તો હું સાવ નાહિંમત થઈ ગયો છું અને હાલ પૂરતું ત્યાં આવવાનું બંધ પણ કરી દીધું છે. પ્રવિણભાઈને Philadel. પત્ર લખીને અમુક માહિતી મંગાવી હતી પરંતુ તેનો પણ કાંઈ ઉત્તર નથી એટલે Sept. માં આવવું હોય તો તારા જેમ ભાઈનો વિગતવાર પત્ર આવી ગયો હોત તો કદાચ હિંમત કરીને ત્યાં જવાવા જોગ છે એટલે પત્ર જ તેમને મળ્યો નહિ હોય.

વધુમાં તારા તરફથી June માસમાં Post કરેલ Philadelphiના Catalogue વગેરે મળ્યા અને તેમાં એક Paragraph એ મારા હાલ મુલતવી રાખવાના વિચારમાં પ્રોત્સાહન આપ્યું. The class which is admitted in February of each year will follow an accelerated program and by taking courses during summer will complete all requirements one semester sooner than those beginning in Sept. Session.

 

તેં મને આ વિશે પહેલાં પણ લખ્યું હોય તેવો મને ખ્યાલ છે એટલે હવે Feb. 57 માં admission transfer કરવા request કરતો પત્ર મારા પુ. પિતાશ્રીના નામે આજે લખ્યો છે. મેં પહેલાં તેઓને પત્ર લખેલ કે મને Campus માંથી Exempt કરશે પરંતુ તેઓએ તે રજા આપવાની ના પાડી. પાછો request કરતો પત્ર ૨૬ July એ લખ્યો હતો અને તેમાં લખેલ કે હું હમણાં જ ટાઈફોઈડ માંથી ઉઠો થયો છું અને આરામ કરું છું પણ 10 સપ્ટેમ્બર સુધીમાં ત્યાં આવી જઈશ. પછી તારા તરફથી પત્રો આવ્યા અને પાછું મગજ ફર્યું કે હમણાં તરત જવું નકામું છે માટે Feb. 57 માં admission transfer કરવા માટે પૂ. પિતાશ્રીના નામે પત્ર લખ્યો કે નરેશની ઘણી ઇચ્છા ત્યાં આ Sept. માં આવવાની હતી અને તેને થોડી તૈયારીઓ પણ કરવા માંડી હતી પરંતુ Typhoid relapse થવાથી પાછો પથડાઈ પડ્યો છે એટલે Sept. Session માં આવી શકે તેમ નથી વગેરે.

વિરેન્દ્ર અહીં ૮-૧૦ દિવસ પહેલાં આવ્યો હતો અને ધાર્યા કરતાં એક દિવસ મોડો આવવાથી, ઘણો જ Book થઈ ગયેલ હતો એટલે જમવા આવી ન શક્યો. Bangalore થી પાછા આવતા મળવા Promise આપ્યું છે.

બીજી ત્યાંના નવીન શું છે? તું પણ હવે કાંઈ જ લખતો નથી. શરૂઆતમાં તો પત્રનો પુરો કસ કાઢતો હતો અને હવે તો ચોથા ભાગનો પત્ર કોરો રાખે છે! કદાચ હવે આવડત વધી ગઈ હોવાના કારણથી તે બનતું હોય!! Detroit વિશે તો તે કાંઈ જ લખ્યું નથી! પાછો Urbana ક્યારે જવાનો છે? સાથે જ તારો ત્યાંનો પગાર જ્યારથી મેં વાંચ્યો છે ત્યારથી તારી ઇર્ષા થયા કરે છે!

શું તને આપણા ધ્યેય વિશે શંકા આવે છે? તેનું કારણ મને સમજાવીશ. મને તો હું ખૂબ જ મક્કમ મનવાળો સમજતો હતો પરંતુ તારો છેલ્લો પત્ર વાંચીને જરા વિચારમાં પડી ગયો છું. શું તારો will power આટલો બધો નબળો હતો ના તે તો બની જ ન શકે. પણ તારા લખવા મુજબ હું અહીંથી ગયો ત્યારથી જ તારી હવે આગળ ભણવાની ઇચ્છા મોળી થઈ છે. તે Point તો સમજાયો પણ તું sex ને પણ વધારાનું એક કારણ ગણાવે છે તો તે કઈ રીતે તને મુંઝવે છે તે તો તે લખ્યું જ નથી. વિગતવાર પત્ર લખી મને જણાવજે. Why should the problem of sex interfere with study? શું કોઈના ફંદામાં પડી ગયો છે કે કોઈએ તને પાળ્યો છે? વાત શું છે?

 

અહીંના નવીનમાં મુંબઈ-મહારાષ્ટ્ર અને ગુજરાતનું મોટું દ્વિભાષી રાજ્ય બનાવવાનું નક્કી કરેલ છે. તેના વિરૂદ્ધમાં અમદાવાદમાં ખૂબ જ નુકશાન કર્યું છે. મોરારજીભાઈ ત્યાં ગયા છે અને તેમને ન છૂટકે આજથી ઉપવાસ પર ઉતરવું પડ્યું છે.

બીજા તો અહીંના ખાસ નવીન નથી. વરસાદ સારો પડે છે. હારૂન રંગારી ચાલવાવાળા મિત્રો હું બિમાર હતો ત્યારે અવારનવાર મળતા હતા તને યાદ કરે છે. રાજેન્દ્ર પણ લગ્ન કરીને પાછો આવી ગયો છે.

હવે તું ત્યાં ગાડી ક્યારે લેવાનો છે? મહિને લગભગ $ 400/- પામે છે અને ખર્ચ માંડ 200 $ નો રાખ્યો હશે! પાછું અને આ તથા થોડા શારૂલાના! મહિને 200 $ તો સહેજે બચતા જ હશે એટલે ગાડી તો રાખવી મોંઘી નહિ પડે અને ગાડી રાખવાથી ફાયદા પણ ઘણા ખરું ને?

ઠીક ત્યારે પત્રનો ઉત્તર વિગતવાર આપજે.

એજ લિ. નરેશ

તારા તરફથી Unexpected મોટું કવર મળ્યું એટલે પહેલાં તો મને ખ્યાલ ગયો કે તે કદાચ Blue Prints શેનીક મોકલી હશે પણ ખોલ્યા પછી જુદું જ નીકળ્યું. ખાસ કરીને Interior House Decoration ના Idea જે તને Excellent લાગે તે લખજે.

નરેશ

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To:

Hemendra C. Parekh

B.E. 4835, S. Martindale DETROIT (Mich.) (U.S.A.)

From:

73 Sion Road, BOMBAY - 22. INDIA.

Date: 19-8-56.

Dear Hemen,

This is to let you know that I received your letter 3–4 days ago. Out of curiosity, I initially read through the entire letter quickly because I had sought your advice and was eager to read it; but... at first reading, what you were trying to say just didn't register in my mind. I read it a second time and got somewhat of an idea of what you meant, and after that, I read it many times. Finally, right now, it felt as though I got some answer to my question, so I have sat down to reply to you. It took almost three days to understand your letter! Perhaps this happened because, as you wrote, my mind became weak after my illness. During the illness, my mind had indeed become very weak, which I was aware of, but that its effect still lingers was known to me only from your letter. Only now did I realize that you have also changed your name slightly. It's good that you refined your name to Hemen; earlier I had understood it as "Hi-men"! Perhaps due to the climate of America, I thought you might have become like "Hi-men" and changed your name slightly accordingly!

From your last two letters, I have become completely discouraged and, for the time being, have postponed coming there. I had requested some information by writing a letter to Pravinbhai in Philadelphia, but there is no reply from him either. So if I were to come in Sept., a detailed letter from him like yours would have arrived, and perhaps I might have taken the courage to go there; so it seems he might not have received the letter at all.

Furthermore, the Philadelphia catalogue etc. posted by you in June was received, and one paragraph in it gave encouragement to my idea of postponing for now:

"The class which is admitted in February of each year will follow an accelerated program and by taking courses during summer will complete all requirements one semester sooner than those beginning in Sept. Session."

I recall that you might have written to me about this earlier as well, so now I have written a letter today in the name of my Respected Father requesting to transfer the admission to Feb. 57. I had written a letter to them earlier asking to exempt me from the Campus, but they refused to grant permission. Again, I wrote a requesting letter on 26th July mentioning that I have just recovered from Typhoid and am taking rest, but will reach there by 10th September. Then letters arrived from you, and my mind turned again that going right now is useless; so I wrote a letter in the name of my Respected Father to transfer the admission to Feb. 57, stating that Naresh had a strong desire to come there this Sept. and had even started making some preparations, but due to a relapse of Typhoid, he has fallen ill again and hence cannot come for the Sept. Session, etc.

Virendra came here 8–10 days ago, and arriving a day later than expected, he was very booked up, so he couldn't come for dinner. He has promised to meet upon returning from Bangalore.

What else is new there? You too don't write anything nowadays. In the beginning, you used to make full use of the letter, and now you leave a fourth of the letter blank! Perhaps this happens because your skill has increased now!! You haven't written anything about Detroit! When are you returning to Urbana? Also, ever since I read about your salary there, I have been feeling envious of you!

Are you getting doubts about our goal? Will you explain the reason to me? I considered myself to be of a very firm mind, but after reading your last letter, I am left thinking. Was your will power really that weak? No, that can never be. But as per your writing, ever since I left from here, your desire to study further has dimmed. That point was understood, but you also cite sex as an additional reason—so how is it troubling you, that you haven't written. Write a detailed letter and let me know. Why should the problem of sex interfere with study? Have you fallen into someone's trap, or has someone taken care of/maintained you? What is the matter?

As for news here, it has been decided to create a large bilingual state of Bombay-Maharashtra and Gujarat. In protest against that, a lot of damage was caused in Ahmedabad. Morarjibhai went there and, out of compulsion, had to go on a fast starting today.

Nothing else particularly new here. It is raining well. Friends from Haroon Rangari Chawl used to visit frequently when I was sick; they send their regards. Rajendra has also returned after getting married.

Now when are you going to buy a car there? You earn almost $400/- a month and must have kept expenses at barely $200! Plus this and a few extra savings! At least $200 must easily be saved every month, so keeping a car won't be expensive, and keeping a car has many advantages too, right?

Okay then, reply to the letter in detail.

Yours,

Naresh

Since an unexpectedly large envelope was received from you, at first I thought you might have sent some Blue Prints, but after opening, it turned out to be something else. Especially write down the ideas for Interior House Decoration that you find excellent.

Naresh







No comments:

Post a Comment