Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Thursday, 30 March 2017

NARESH - 08/12/1950

प्रति, हेमेन्द्र. चुનીલાલ. પારેખ. ૫, પ્રદ્યુમ્ન હોસ્ટેલ, કોલેજ રોડ, રાજકોટ (સૌરાષ્ટ્ર)

 

૨૦, ગોખલે રોડ, (નોર્થ) જગજીવન નિવાસ, મુંબઈ ૨૮. ૮-૧૨-'૫૦

 

હેમેન્દ્ર,

તારો પત્ર પરમ દિવસે મળ્યો વાંચી તુરત જવાબ આપવા વિચાર હતો પરંતુ તે વખતે તો પોસ્ટ ઓફીસ બંધ થઈ ગઈ હતી એટલે હજી કાલે જ આ પત્ર મેં લીધો અને જગદીશકાકાએ બે આના વાળી ટીકીટ લઈ તને પત્ર તુરત જ પોસ્ટ કર્યો. આજે પણ અત્યારે હું તને પત્ર લખી ન શકત પણ મનમાં મક્કમ કર્યો હતો કે રવિવાર પહેલા ગમે તેમ કરીને હેમેન્દ્રને પત્ર લખવો જ છે એટલે આજ કોલેજનું ઘણું કામ બાકી હોવા છતાં અડધું કામ પતાવી તારા આ ઈન્ટરવોલ પાડ્યો છે.

બીજું તેં મિત્ર વિષે લખ્યું તો તે બાબત તને જણાવવાનું કે તેઓ હજી અહીં આવ્યા નથી. કદાચ ભુલી ગયા હશે? અથવા એડ્રેસ ખોવાઈ ગયું હશે? મારો ટેલીફોન નંબર ૬૦૧૬૧ છે તે પણ ભુલી ગયો લાગે છે? ભુલી જ જવાય ને કેટલા વર્ષ તને મુંબઈ છોડ્યા થયાં? અને કોને ખબર હજી કેટલા વર્ષ આમને આમ જવાના હશે?

વિરેન્દ્ર રાજકોટ આવ્યો છે તે જાણ્યું તો શું હવે તે રાજકોટમાં અભ્યાસ કરે છે કે આશ્રમમાં રહી હવે સન્યાસી જીવન જીવવાનો નિશ્ચય કર્યો છે? તેના

 

પત્રો હજી સુધી તો નથી આવ્યા. તેને મારી યાદી આપજે કદાચ ભુલી ગયો હશે?

તારા દરેક પત્રમાં તું લખે છે કે આપણાં બધા મિત્રો મને મળતા હશે અને હું પણ મળતો હોઈશ પરંતુ તે તારી ભુલ છે. તે જેટલા દિવસથી અહીંના આપણા બધા મિત્રોને જોયા નથી તેટલા જ દિવસથી મેં પણ કોઈને જોયા નથી કે કોઈ મને મળ્યું નથી. તું અહીં હતો ત્યારે તો બધા મને મળતા પણ મને તો હવે લાગે છે કે તું જેમ મને મુકીને સૌરાષ્ટ્રમાં ભાગી ગયો છે તેમ સાથે સાથે આપણા મિત્રોને પણ લેતો ગયો લાગે છે?

"રોમીયો અને જુલીયેટ" વિષે તે અભિપ્રાય પુછાવ્યો છે તો તને જણાવવાનું કે મેં હજી તે ચિત્ર જોયું નથી પણ છતાં તારો અભિપ્રાય જોઈએ તો તું તે ચિત્ર પાંચ આનાની ટીકીટમાં બને તો જોઈ આવજે, તો તેમાં કાંઈ વાંધો નથી કારણ કે કદાચ ચિત્ર ખરાબ હોય તો તું મારો દોષ ન કાઢ કે મને ગાળો પણ ન દે.

ભાસ્કરના પણ કાંઈ સમાચાર નથી.

કેમ! પત્ર તો તુરત મળ્યો છે ને? કે હજી આટલા દિવસ મોડો પત્ર આવ્યો તેના પશ્ચાતાપ કરવા જેવું લાગ્યું?

હાલ એજ નરેશ

 

નરેશ. ધીરજલાલ. શાહ. ૨૦, ગોખલે રોડ, નોર્થ. મુંબઈ ૨૮.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To:

Hemendra Chunilal Parekh

5, Pradyumna Hostel, College Road

Rajkot (Saurashtra)

20, Gokhale Road (North), Jagjivan Niwas, Mumbai 28

8-12-'50

Hemendra,

Received your letter the day before yesterday; reading it, I intended to reply immediately, but by that time the post office had already closed. So just yesterday I bought this letter paper, and Jagdishkaka bought a two-anna stamp and posted a letter to you right away. Even today at this moment, I wouldn't have been able to write to you, but I had firmly resolved in my mind that come what may, I must write a letter to Hemendra before Sunday. So today, despite having a lot of college work pending, I finished half of it and took this intermission for you.

Regarding what you wrote about our friend, I am informing you that they haven't come here yet. Perhaps they forgot? Or maybe the address got lost? It seems they also forgot my telephone number, 60161? Well, it's bound to be forgotten—how many years has it been since you left Mumbai? And who knows how many more years will pass like this?

Learned that Virendra has come to Rajkot—so is he studying in Rajkot now, or has he decided to live as a hermit in an ashram? His

letters haven't arrived so far. Give him my regards; perhaps he has forgotten me?

In your every letter, you write that all our friends must be meeting me and I must be meeting them too, but that is your mistake. For as many days as you haven't seen all our friends here, for that exact same number of days I haven't seen anyone either, nor has anyone met me. When you were here, everyone used to meet me, but now it feels to me that just as you ran away to Saurashtra leaving me behind, you seem to have taken our friends along with you as well!

You asked for my opinion regarding "Romeo and Juliet"—so I am letting you know that I haven't seen that picture yet. However, if you want my opinion: if possible, go see that picture with a five-anna ticket, there's no harm in that—so that if the picture turns out bad, you won't blame me or curse me.

There is no news from Bhaskar either.

What! Did you receive the letter promptly, didn't you? Or did it feel like cause for regret that the letter arrived late after so many days?

That is all for now.

Naresh

Naresh Dhirajlal Shah

20, Gokhale Road (North), Mumbai 28

 





No comments:

Post a Comment