અોક્ટોબર
૧, ૧૯૫૨
વિદ્યાનગર
પ્રિય
વ્હેન,
મારો
આ પહેલાં નો પત્ર મળી
ગયો હશે, પણ તારા
તરફથી જવાબ નથી એટલે
ધારું છું કે ઘરકામ
માંથી ફુરસદ નહિ મળતી હોય.
અને ચંદાબેન ના અક્ષર તો?
કોણ જાણે છેલ્લાં કયારે
જોયેલાં!
Last time I wrote you about the
ways to the emancipation of soul. I am going to write something more about it,
to-day.
Hundreds of years back, there
lived, in Bharata, a Rishi (ઋષિ)
named 'charvak'. He had his own way of leading the life. I do not know, whether
it was accepted by the people of the
time, but surely nearly half of
the world to-day follows the path.
He said, "Let not this
beautiful life, be spoiled with the ideas of the life to come after death. who
knows, what sort of life is there, after death, if at all it exists? And when
nobody knows, why worry about it? Eat, drink and be merry and leave aside these
ideas of 'પાપ' and 'પુણ્ય', and make your
present life lively".
Now you will understand, why
people like this way. For the most of the persons, on the surface of this
earth,
happiness - is the 'be all and
the end all' of this life. But there are various types of happiness, and the
physical happiness ranks first amongst them. Delicious food pleases us, and
same is the case with the fragrance of a flower and the beauty of the setting
Sun.
આજે
તા. ૧૮મી નવેમ્બર થઈ.
— વિદ્યાનગર —
પ્રિય
વ્હેન,
તારો
છેલ્લો પત્ર, આ પત્ર અધૂરો
હતો ત્યારે મળ્યો. પછી હું વેકેશન
માં વડિયા ગયો. અને બે-દિવસથી અહિં આવ્યો છું.
ફરીથી તારો પત્ર વાંચ્યો.
"ક્ષણે ક્ષણે યન્ન્નવતામુપૈતિ તદેવ રુપમ્ રમણિયતાઃ"
એટલે હજુ ફરી વાંચીશ.
કારણ જીવન નું શું
સ્વરૂપ છે, એ
રૂપને
સમજવા હું પ્રયત્ન કરું
છું. વાસ્તવિકતા કરતાં સ્વપ્નો મેં વધારે જોયાં
છે. પણ મનનો મેં
અમુક જ રીતે વિકાસ
થવા દીધો છે અને
હૃદયનો, અનેક લાગણીઓનાં આવેશ
માં સાચો રસ્તો જ
નથી ખોળી શકતું, અને
મનની પાછળ દોરાય છે.
એટલે જ પરિસ્થિતિ નું
ભાન આજે દુઃખદાયક લાગે
છે. પણ હું માનું
છું કે હું કાયર
નથી અથવા નથી એમ
સાબિત કરવા માગું છું:
એટલે લડીશ – અંત સુધી – અને
મારી ફરજ માંથી મુક્ત
થઈશ. બલિદાન નો પાઠ તેં
મને શીખવ્યો છે. એ હું
કદિ ભૂલ્યો નથી – નહિ ભુલું. એ
વખતે ગુસ્સો હતો – ભગવાન ભ્રમણદેવ જેવો – પણ એનો દંડ
મેં પોતે ભોગવવાનું નક્કી
કર્યું. વિનયના અહંકાર રાક્ષસી છે. હવે પછી
હૃદય માં ઝેર નું
સિંચન નહિ કરું.
મારા
જીવનનું મહત્વ ઘણું છે. વિશાળ
જગતને મારા અસ્તિત્વની કાંઈ
પડી નથી એ હું
બરાબર જાણું છું. મારા
વિના,
પણ એનાં ક્રમમાં કૈં
ફેર નહિ પડે. પણ
એવા પણ થોડા માણસો
છે કે જેમનું મારી
પાસે કૈંક લેણું છે.
મારા જીવન માટે એને
ચિંતા છે. મારા કરતાં
એ લોકોનો હું હંમેશા પહેલો
વિચાર કરીશ. ત્યાં સુધી મારાં સ્વપ્નો
– તમને સદાય!
પત્ર
જરૂર લખજો. ચંદાબહેન પણ લખે તો
સારું.
લિ.
બટુક
ના પ્રણામ
૨૪-૮-૫૬
અમરેલી.
પ્રિય
ચંદનબહેન,
તમારો
પત્ર મળ્યો. રક્ષાઓ મળી હતી, પરંતુ
સરનામું ન્હોતું તેથી પત્ર ન
લખી શકાયો.
પ્રતિ
વર્ષે તમારા રક્ષાબંધન ની પાછળ જે
ઉદ્દાત ભાવના જોવામાં આવતી એ આ
વખતે ન્હોતી. સૂતર નાં બે
તાંતણા ની સ્વહસ્તે બનાવેલી
રાખડી વધુ પ્રિય લાગતી.
નિબંધ-હરિફાઈ માં હું પ્રથમ
આવ્યો છું. પ્રથમ ઇનામ
રુપે મને પૂ. મામાનું
'માણસાઈ નાં દીવા' મળ્યું.
'યૂનો' વિષેનો નિબંધ ફરી કોઈવાર મોકલીશ.
૧૫
મી ઓગસ્ટ તમે કેવી રીતે
ઉજવી? મેં વડિયા ની
જાહેર સભા નાં અને
ધ્વજવંદન નાં ફોટા લીધેલાં.
સરસ આવ્યા છે.
ખેતીવાડી
ની યોજના આગળ
ધપી
રહી છે. સૌરાષ્ટ્ર સરકાર
ની સાથે મંત્રણા કરીને
મોટાભાઈ એ આજુબાજુ નાં
ખેતરોને પાણી પૂરું પાડવાની
યોજના ઘડી છે. સરકાર
પોતાના ખર્ચે મોટો કૂવો ખોદાવી
મશીન મૂકી આપવા તૈયાર
છે. ૯૫ ખેડૂતો મળે
તો થાય.
આતરફ
વરસાદ ઠીક હતો. પરંતુ
છેલ્લાં ૨૦-૨૫ દિવસથી
નથી. હવે જો જલ્દીથી
વરસાદ નહિ થાય તો
પાન બળી જવાનો ભય
રહે છે.
ગાંધી-જયંતિ પ્રસંગે અમારી બોર્ડિંગ માંથી એક માસિક નીકળવાનું
છે. તંત્રીમંડળ માં હું પણ
છું. તેને માટે થોડાક
મિત્રો અને મારો અગ્રહ
બે કાવ્યો આપવાનો વિચાર છે. આ સાથે
એ કાવ્ય મોકલું છું. ચિત્રકલા નાં
ક્ષેત્રમાં તમારો વિકાસ અટકી જશે તો
મારો જેટલું દુઃખ કોઈને નહિ
થાય!
તમારી
રાખડી મળી હતી. બેનની
નહિ. રક્ષાબંધન ની લેટ માં
શું મોકલું તે જરૂર જણાવજો?
મારા
મોટાભાઈ નટુભાઈનો અભ્યાસ બરોબર ચાલુ છે, હમણાં
તો મારે અઠવાડિયામાં બેત્રણ
બે પરિક્ષાઓ તો હોય જ
છે.
તમારી
તથા શ્રી. ભોગીલાલજીની તબીયત તદ્દન સારી હશે. પૂ.
મોટાં-બહેન મળતાં હશે.
અહિયાં મારી તબીયત સારી
છે. પત્ર લખશો.
— હેમેન્દ્ર ના પ્રણામ
ગિરીવર
ગિરીશૃંગ
સૌમ્ય,
દૂર
થી દીસે ગિરીશૃંગ સૌમ્ય,
મૃદુ
આવરણે છૂપેલી ભીષણતા અનેરી,
હૈયું
ધ્રુજાવે.
કિં
તે કરાલકાલ,
મૃત્યૂ
તણા ઓ અચૂક પ્રેષક,
જીવન
સંગીત તુજ ખડખડે
ગુંજી
ઉઠે છે.
ગિરી
ગર્વ-ઉન્નત,
ઘન-આચ્છાદિત તવ રમ્ય શિખરે,
વ્યોમે
વિહરંત વિહગો તણી,
પંક્તિઓ
વિરામે.
ક્ષિતિધર
અન્યય,
નત
મસ્તકે તુજ પાદ પાસે
પ્રણમતિઓ,
વિરાટની
ઝાંખી કરાવે અટ્ટહાસ્ય તારું,
ભૂલાવી
આખે.
❌. કાવ્યમાં
હિમાલયને ગૂઢ સંબોધન છે.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 1, 1952
Vidyanagar
Dear Sister,
You must have received my previous letter, but since there is no reply from you, I assume you haven't found leisure from household chores. And Chandaben's handwriting? Who knows when I last saw it!
Last time I wrote you about the ways to the emancipation of soul. I am going to write something more about it, to-day.
Hundreds of years back, there lived, in Bharata, a Rishi (ઋષિ) named 'charvak'. He had his own way of leading the life. I do not know, whether it was accepted by the people of the time, but surely nearly half of the world to-day follows the path.
He said, "Let not this beautiful life, be spoiled with the ideas of the life to come after death. who knows, what sort of life is there, after death, if at all it exists? And when nobody knows, why worry about it? Eat, drink and be merry and leave aside these ideas of 'પાપ' [sin] and 'પુણ્ય' [virtue], and make your present life lively".
Now you will understand, why people like this way. For the most of the persons, on the surface of this earth, happiness - is the 'be all and the end all' of this life. But there are various types of happiness, and the physical happiness ranks first amongst them. Delicious food pleases us, and same is the case with the fragrance of a flower and the beauty of the setting Sun.
Section 2: November 18 – Vidyanagar
Today is November 18th.
— Vidyanagar —
Dear Sister,
I received your last letter while this letter was incomplete. After that, I went to Vadia during the vacation and arrived here two days ago. I read your letter again. "Kshane kshane yannavatāmupaiti tadeva rūpaṁ ramaṇīyatāḥ" (That form which assumes newness every moment is true beauty)—hence, I will read it again, because I am trying to understand the nature of life and its form. I have seen more dreams than realities. But I have allowed my mind to develop in a specific way, and my heart, in the rush of numerous emotions, cannot find the true path and follows behind the mind. That is why being aware of the situation feels painful today. But I believe I am not a coward, nor do I wish to prove myself as one: so I will fight—until the end—and free myself from my duty. You taught me the lesson of sacrifice. I have never forgotten it—nor will I forget it. At that time there was anger—like Lord Bhramandev—but I decided to bear its punishment myself. Vinay's pride/ego is monstrous. Henceforth, I will not irrigate my heart with poison.
The importance of my life is great. I know very well that the vast world does not care about my existence. Without me, its order will not change even a bit. But there are a few people who have a claim on me. They care about my life. I will always think of those people before myself. Until then, my dreams belong to you always!
Do write a letter. It would be good if Chandabahen also writes.
Yours respectfully,
Batuk
Section 3: August 24, 1956 – Amreli
24-8-56
Amreli
Dear Chandanbahen,
Received your letter. The Rakhis were received, but because there was no address, I couldn't write a letter.
The noble feeling that used to be seen behind your Raksha Bandhan every year was missing this time. The handmade Rakhi made of two cotton threads felt much dearer.
I stood first in the essay competition. As the first prize, I received respected Uncle's (Mama's) book "Manasai Na Diva" (Lamps of Humanity). I will send the essay regarding the 'UNO' another time.
How did you celebrate August 15th? I took photographs of the public gathering and flag hoisting in Vadia. They have turned out very good.
The agricultural scheme is moving forward. After consulting with the Saurashtra Government, Motabhai has drafted a scheme to supply water to the surrounding fields. The government is ready to dig a large well and install a machine at its own expense if 95 farmers join.
The rainfall was decent in these parts, but there has been none for the last 20–25 days. If it doesn't rain soon now, there is a risk of the crops/leaves burning up.
On the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, a monthly magazine is going to be published from our boarding school. I am also on the editorial board. For that, on the insistence of a few friends and my own wish, I plan to contribute two poems. I am sending those poems along with this. If your progress in the field of painting halts, no one will feel more pained than I!
Received your Rakhi. Sister's was not received. Please do let me know what to send as a Raksha Bandhan gift?
My elder brother Natubhai's studies are going well. Nowadays, I have two or three exams every week.
Hope your health and Shri Bhogilalji's health are completely good. Hope you get to meet respected Mota-bahen. My health is good here. Do write a letter.
Yours respectfully,
Hemendra
Section 4: Poem – "Girivar" (The Majestic Mountain)
Girivar (The Great Mountain)
The mountain peak appears serene from afar,
A strange, fierce force hidden beneath a soft shroud,
That makes the heart tremble.
Are you terrible Time (Kal),
O unerring messenger of Death,
Your life's music rattles
And echoes aloud.
Mountain proud and tall,
On your lovely peak covered in clouds,
The rows of birds flying in the sky
Pause to rest.
O unyielding mountain (Kshitidhar),
Those bowing down at your feet with bowed heads,
Your loud laughter gives a glimpse of the Infinite,
Making one forget everything.
Note: The poem contains a mystical address to the Himalayas.









No comments:
Post a Comment