Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Monday, 2 May 2022

PUSHPA BEN - 28.05.1959


ચંદુભાઈ,

    • C/o. Sri Amritlal M. Khara
    • Khara Bros.
    • 203/1 Mahatma Gandhi Rd. (old Harrison Road).
    • CALCUTTA - 7
    • West Bengal

 

8th May, '59. / Bombay.

પ્રિય ચંદાદિ, તમારો ઘણાં સમયથી પત્ર નથી. કેમ જી જવાબ લખવાનો મારો વારો છે? ગમેતેમ, પત્રનો અંત સગાય હશે તેમ યાદ છે. ત્યાર બાદ ભારતમાં તારામાં લખ્યું કે મને તમારો પત્ર મળેલો અને જવાબ લખ્યો છે. એનો ફોટો મળ્યો? હું અહીંથી ફરી યાદ દેવરાવીશ. મારી પાસે તો ફક્ત ત્રણ જ છે. ત્યાં ઉનાળાની રજાઓમાં, મોટાભાઈ-ભાભી દિનેશ, અમદાવાદ થઈને આબુ ગયાં છે અને રતુભાઈ-ભાભી અસ્પીને ત્યાં ગયા છે. રણજીત ભાઈ નવું જોતા હશે અને વાડમજ્યોતિ. એ બન્નેમાં સગપણનું પણ જો થઈ જાય તો ઘણું સારું. ખાસ કરીને ઉગ્ને જ્યોતિ માટે મને ઘણી ચિંતા થાય છે. મારી ચિંતામાં મોટા વડીલો ચિંતા કરાવવાવાળા છે પરંતુ તેથી મેં ફેર નથી પડતો. મારી ઘણી ઈચ્છા હતી કે જો ઉનાળામાં જ 'પિતાજી' નો Flat

 

મળી જાત તો સૌને અહિયાં બોલાવવા જેવી મુંબઈમાં પણ પ્રવૃત્તિ થઈ શક્ત. પરંતુ એ બની શક્યું નહિ. એ જુલાઈ માં ખાલી આપવાની વાત કરે છે. અત્યારે લખાયા નથી. પરંતુ હવે તો માટેના ચોમાસા-શિયાળા માં તો કદાચ બાપુજી ને નહિ ફાવે નહિ; છતાં લખી કહીશ. મારા લગ્ન પણ મેં નવેમ્બર સુધી મોકૂફ રાખ્યાં છે. ખાસ કરીને જ્યોતિનાં સગપણ નું થઈ જાય ત્યાર પછી રજા એ વધુ હિતાવહ છે. તમારા તથા શ્રી અમૃતલાલ ની તબિયત કેવી છે તે જરૂર જણાવશો. મારા લગ્નથી તદ્દન ખુશ હશો. એમને મારી યાદિ. શૈલેષને વેકેશન ની મઝા પડી ગઈ હશે. દિનેશને જુન થી અહિયાં Bombay માં જ Inter. Sc. માં દાખલ કરવા વિશે મેં બાપુજી ને લખ્યું છે. F.Y. માં Third Class marks મળ્યા છે અને Inter. માં 65% નહિ આવે તો Engineering કે Medical માં admission મેળવવું મુશ્કેલ થશે. વળી ભાવનગર-રણજીત કોલેજ માં બધું

 

ગુજરાતીમાં ચાલ છે. પછી અહિયાં કોઈ admit નહિ કરે. Inter. માં મારી સાથે રહે તો જરા સુરખી રહેશે. હું અઠવાડિયાથી Apollo Hotel છોડી નીચેના સરનામે રહેવા આવ્યો છું: Room No. 200, Sodality House, Victoria Garden Road, Bombay - 8. Y.M.C.A. જેવું છે. Single રૂમ માં અત્યારે એકલો છું. પરંતુ પાંચમા માળે પુષ્કળ હવા-પ્રકાશ વાળી, તદ્દન નવા ફર્નિચર સાથેની રૂમ છે. ટેબલ-ખુરશી, પલંગ, તિજોરી, Book-Shelf, Ceiling-fan લિ. છે. જમવાનું પણ ઘણું સારું છે. રહેવા-જમવાનો માસિક ખર્ચ રૂ. ૧૬૫/- Apollo માં 300/- આપતો. અહીંથી factory પણ નજીક પડે છે. અહિયાં વડીલબેનને મળવા ગયેલો. ડૉ. સવિતાબેન અઠવાડિયા માં પાંચ થી દસ ના જીંદ મહિના માટે જાય છે. જગદિશ બેંગલોર હોદ્દો મળવા ગયા છે. ૧-૬ દિવસમાં આવશે. ર. ભાઈ ને ત્યાં સૌ મઝામાં છે. પંદર દિવસ પહેલાં મળેલો. બેન નો રજિસ્ટર્ડ ગઈ કાલે મળેલો. જીતુબેન (શાબનજી વાળાં) હમણાં અહિયાં છે. મારી તબિયત ઘણી સારી છે, તમે સૌ મઝામાં હશો. બાકી લંગડી ગબડ્યે જાય છે. આવતી ૨૧ મીએ ૨૭ મું વર્ષ બેસશે. તમે કેટલાં વર્ષ કર્યા? હજુ વિચારમાં ના વ્યામોહ વિચાર કરું છું! કોઈનાં રહેઠાણ-બદલાતી માં રજુ નથી સકાયતો. પત્ર લખજો. લિ. રમેશના પ્રણામ

    • R. C. Parekh
    • Rm # 200
    • Sodality House
    • Victoria Garden Rd.
    • Bombay - 8.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To:

Chandubhai

C/o. Sri Amritlal M. Khara

Khara Bros.

203/1 Mahatma Gandhi Rd. (old Harrison Road)

CALCUTTA - 7

West Bengal

8th May, '59 / Bombay

Dear Chandadi,

I haven't received a letter from you in a long time. Why, is it my turn to reply? Anyhow, I recall the end of the letter was about engagement matters. After that, I wrote in a telegram to Bharat that I received your letter and have written a reply. Did you receive its photo? I will remind them again from here. I only have three copies left with me.

There for the summer vacation, Motabhai-Bhabhi and Dinesh went to Abu via Ahmedabad, and Ratubhai-Bhabhi went to Aspi's place. Ranjitbhai must be looking for a new prospect, and Vadamjyoti as well. It would be very good if an engagement alliance is finalized for both of them. I am particularly very worried about Ugne Jyoti. The elders are adding to my worries, but that doesn't make a difference to me. I really wished that if Father's flat became available in the summer itself, we could have had activities in Mumbai similar to inviting everyone over. But that couldn't happen. They are talking about vacating it in July. Nothing is written down right now. However, during the monsoon or winter, Bapuji probably won't find it suitable; still, I will write and inform him.

I have also postponed my marriage until November. It is more advisable to take leave, especially after Jyoti's engagement is finalized. Please do let me know how your health and Shri Amrutlal's health are. You must be completely happy about my wedding. Give my regards to him. Shailesh must be enjoying his vacation. I have written to Bapuji about enrolling Dinesh here in Bombay for Inter. Sc. starting in June. He secured Third Class marks in F.Y. (First Year), and if he doesn't get 65% in Inter., it will be difficult to get admission into Engineering or Medical. Furthermore, everything at Bhavnagar's Ranjit College is conducted in Gujarati, after which no one here will grant admission. If he stays with me during Inter., he will be under proper guidance.

A week ago, I left the Apollo Hotel and moved to the following address:

Room No. 200, Sodality House, Victoria Garden Road, Bombay - 8.

It is similar to a YMCA. Currently, I am alone in a single room. It is on the fifth floor with plenty of air and light, furnished with completely new furniture—table, chair, bed, cupboard, bookshelf, ceiling fan, etc. The food is also very good. The monthly expense for lodging and boarding is Rs. 165/-, whereas I used to pay 300/- at the Apollo. The factory is also closer from here.

I went to visit Vadilben here. Dr. Savitaben is leaving for a five-to-ten month stay within a week. Jagdish has gone to Bangalore to take charge of his post and will return in 1–6 days. Everyone at R. Bhai's place is doing well; I met them fifteen days ago. Received Sister's registered letter yesterday. Jituben (from Shabanji) is currently here. My health is very good, and I hope all of you are doing well. Otherwise, life plods along. On the coming 21st, I will turn 27. How many years have you completed? I am still lost in thought and fascination! I am unable to keep up with anyone's changing residences. Do write a letter.

Yours respectfully,

Ramesh

Sender's Address:

R. C. Parekh

Rm # 200

Sodality House

Victoria Garden Rd.

Bombay - 8








 

No comments:

Post a Comment