Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Thursday, 30 March 2017

NARESH - 13/09/1952

To, Hemendra C. Parikh

B 77 Engineering Hostel,

Vallabh Vidyanagar, via - ANAND.

૨૦, ગોખલે રોડ (નોર્થ) ૪ થે માળે. મુંબઈ ૨૮. ૨૩-૯-'૫૨

૧૧ હેમેન્દ્ર,

 

તારું એક પોસ્ટ કાર્ડ અને Air Mail letter મળ્યાં પરંતુ ન મળ્યાં જેવા જ. “તારા પત્રની રાહ જોઉં છું” - હેમેન્દ્ર. - સિવાય પત્રમાં કાંઈ જ ન હતું. તને કદાચ પત્ર લખ્યાનો આનંદ થતો હશે પરંતુ મને તો તારા પત્રોથી જરાય સંતોષ કે તારા તરફથી પત્ર આવ્યાનો આનંદ અનુભવાયો ન હતો. તને કદાચ એમ થતું હશે કે મેં ત્રણ ત્રણ પત્રો લખ્યાં પરંતુ નરેશ તો જવાબ જ આપતો નથી. તા. ૨૩-૯-'૫૨ રાતના ૧૦ તારો તારીખ ૧૬ મીનો લખેલ પત્ર પણ ગઈ કાલે રાતના ૮ વાગે મળ્યો. પત્ર લખવામાં મારી ખૂબ જ ઠીલ થઈ છે તે હું કબુલ કરું છું પરંતુ તેનો અર્થ જરા પણ એમ નથી થતો હું તને યાદ નથી કરતો. હંમેશ તું બે થી ત્રણ વાર યાદ આવે છે. ૬-૭ વર્ષ પહેલા પસાર કરેલા દિવસો ઘણીવાર તાજા બની આંખ સમક્ષ બનતાં હોય તેવો ભાસ

 

થાય છે. ખેર! તું તે બધું ક્યાંથી સમજી શકે? તને તો પત્ર સાથે સંબંધ. પત્ર લખવાનો તો ઘણીવાર વિચાર થાય છે પરંતુ પત્રમાં લખવા માટે કાંઈ જ સામગ્રી તૈયાર હોતી નથી. અને હું તારા જેમ - “પત્રની રાહ જોઉં છું” - સાથે પત્ર પુરો કરવામાં માનતો જ નથી. મને હંમેશા ટૂંકા પત્રો લખવા કે સ્વીકારવા ગમતા જ નથી; ટૂંકા પત્રોથી મને જરા પણ સંતોષ થતો નથી અને મળ્યા જેટલો આનંદ પણ થતો નથી. જ્યારે તારો ૧૬ મી નો પત્ર વાંચી ને જ મને પત્રનો ઉત્તર આપવાનો વિચાર થયો કારણ કે તે ટૂંકો ન હતો, તે પત્રના જવાબ રૂપે લખવા માટે પણ મને અનેક વિચારો આવતા પરંતુ જ્યારે અત્યારે રાતના લખવા બેઠો છું ત્યારે કોણ જાણે ક્યાં એ રમુજી અને ભાવનાભર્યા વિચારો જતા રહ્યાં છે ? આ પત્ર દ્વારા હું બનતા સુધી તારા ૪ કે પાંચ પત્રોના જવાબ આપું છું. જો કે તારા બે ત્રણ પત્રો તો એક લાઇનના જ હતા અને તેનો ઉત્તર પણ હું એક લાઇનમાં આપી શકેત કે :- તારો પત્ર મળ્યો છે અને

તારા પત્રની રાહ જોઉં છું - પરંતુ મેં તને ઉપર જણાવ્યા પ્રમાણે મને તે પસંદ નથી. હું ધારું છું કે તારા સર્વે પત્રોના જવાબ રૂપ આ એક લખાણ ભર્યા પત્રથી તને જરૂર સંતોષ થશે અને જે ખોટા વિચારો તારા મનમાં પેસી ગયા છે તે દૂર થશે? બીજું હાલ નવરાત્રીના ગરબાઓનો પ્રોગ્રામ અહીં શિવાજી પાર્કમાં હંમેશ થાય છે અને તેમાં આપણા જુનાં મિત્રો – રણછોડ, બટુક - રાજેન્દ્ર - મહેન્દ્ર - દુસેરાય - ભટ્ટ '(ચંકોડી)' વગેરે મળે છે. સર્વે તને યાદ કરતા હતાં. મને મનમાં થતું કે કોઈક તારું એડ્રેસ મારી પાસે માગશે પરંતુ મારી ધારણા તો મનમાં જ રહી ગઈ. આ સર્વે મિત્રો મને બે ત્રણ વર્ષે મળ્યાં છે હંમેશ મળતા નથી તો તને કદાચ મારી ઈર્ષા આવતી હોય તો તે દૂર કરજે. તેઓ તો માત્ર નામના જ અને ઓળખાણ પુરતાના જ મિત્રો છે. એજ આ પ્રશ્નથી મને શાંતિ થઈ કે નહિ? ન થઈ હોય તો જરૂર તાર કરજે પરંતુ એટલું જરૂર ધ્યાનમાં રાખજે કે તારનો ઉત્તર તાર જેટલા જ શબ્દો જ દ્વારા હું તને પત્રથી આપીશ

– એજ નરેશ.

 

Naresh D. Shah

20, Gokhle road (North) BOMBAY - 28


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hemendra C. Parekh

B-77 Engineering Hostel

Vallabh Vidyanagar, via Anand

20, Gokhale Road (North), 4th Floor, Mumbai 28

23-9-'52

Hemendra,

Received one postcard and an Air Mail letter from you, but they were almost as good as not receiving them. There was nothing in the letter except—"Awaiting your letter, Hemendra." You might perhaps feel the joy of having written a letter, but I derived no satisfaction at all from your letters, nor did I experience the joy of receiving a letter from your end. You might be thinking that you wrote as many as three letters, yet Naresh is not giving any reply at all. Today is 23-9-'52, 10 PM at night. Your letter written on the 16th was also received yesterday night at 8 o'clock. I admit there has been a huge delay on my part in writing a letter, but that does not mean in the least that I do not remember you. I remember you two to three times every single day. The days spent 6–7 years ago often become fresh, giving the illusion of taking place right before my eyes.

Well! How could you understand all that? You are only concerned with the letter. The thought of writing a letter comes to mind quite often, but there is no material prepared to write in the letter. And I do not believe in finishing a letter with just—"Awaiting your letter"—like you do. I never like writing or receiving short letters; I get no satisfaction at all from short letters, nor do I feel as much joy as I should upon receiving them. However, reading your letter of the 16th made me feel like replying because it was not short. Many thoughts came to my mind to write in response to that letter, but as I sit down to write right now at night, who knows where those amusing and emotion-filled thoughts have gone?

Through this letter, I am as far as possible replying to your 4 or 5 letters. Though two or three of your letters were just one line each, and I could have replied to them in one line as well: "Received your letter and awaiting your letter"—as I told you above, I do not like that. I assume that this detailed letter serving as a reply to all your letters will surely satisfy you, and the wrong thoughts that have entered your mind will be cleared away?

Another thing—presently, the Navratri Garba program takes place regularly here at Shivaji Park, where our old friends—Ranchhod, Batuk, Rajendra, Mahendra, Duseray, Bhatt ('Chankodi'), etc., meet. Everyone was remembering you. I thought in my mind that someone would ask me for your address, but my expectation remained just a thought. All these friends have met me after two or three years; we do not meet regularly, so if you happen to feel jealous of me, do clear that away. They are friends only in name and for acquaintance's sake. So, did this question bring me peace or not? If not, do send a telegram without fail, but keep one thing in mind—I will give you a reply to that telegram via a letter using only as many words as in a telegram.

That is all.

Naresh

Naresh D. Shah

20, Gokhale Road (North), Bombay - 28







No comments:

Post a Comment