To, HEMENDRA C. Parekh
1008, W. Illinois, URBANA
(Illinois) (U. S. A)
Western music તરફ મારો taste cultivate થતો જાય
છે જાણી આનંદ અને
હવે ખાનમાં પણ થોડો taste cultivate કરવાનું શરૂ
કરો તો સારું ! નવીનમાં
રાજેન્દ્ર ગઈ કાલે રાત્રે
ઘરે આવેલ અને ૧૩
મી તારીખે અમદાવાદ જવાનું ખાસ કહ્યું.
પ્રિય
હેમેન્દ્ર, ૪-૫-૫૬.
તને ઘણા દિવસથી પત્ર
લખવાની ઈચ્છા હતી પરંતુ ગયું
week જરા વધુ કામમાં ગયું
એટલે ટાઇમ ન મળ્યો.
અત્યારે જ્યારે તારું કવર લાઈનને તેની
પર Recd on 9/4/56 વાંચીને ખુબ જ આશ્ચર્ય
થયું. એક મહિને તને
ઉત્તર આપવા બેઠો છું.
ખેર તે પણ તારા
માનવા પ્રમાણે ટાઇમસર જ ગણાશે ! કારણ
કે જો પત્ર વ્યવહાર
જ નીયમીત રહે તો Postal expense નો આંકડો
પણ વધતો રહે.
— Reply Soon — Thane
તારા
કવરનું વજન ખુબ ખુબ
ઓછું એટલે ખુબ જ
આશાઓ સાથે કવર ખોલ્યું
અને તેમાંથી તારો સુંદર color foto જોઈ
ખુબ આનંદ થયો. મેં
તો ધારેલું કે કોઈ blue print આ
વખતે મોકલી હશે. તારો પત્ર
વાંચી ખુબ જ ઇર્ષા
થાય તેવું તેવું છે, American's લોકોની મહેમાનગતિનો મૂર્તિયા લાલ ભાઈઓ ફરે
છે અને સાથે સાથે
90 M.P.H ની journey પણ તેઓના ખર્ચે
કરવાની ! Rajendra ના Marriage 13/5/56 ના દિવસે અમદાવાદ
છે.
well about my leaving India, at
present I am between two minds. I am unable to decide my self, and so I will be
much thankful to you if your help and advise. will be given to me! બધા મિત્રો મજામાં
છે.
Philadelphia થી પાછો પત્ર
આવ્યો છે કે તમને
Sept. માં admission
grant કરું છે તો તમારીથી
બને તેટલી વહેલી તકે $10 pounds entrance fee ના મોકલી આપજો.
ગયા દશ દિવસ પહેલાં
તો Philadelphia નું admission reject કરવાનો જ હતો પરંતુ
ગયા અઠવાડિયે Adelphi માંથી એક Journal "American
Dye stuff Reporter" લાવેલો
તેમાં તેઓએ Philadelphia ની વિશે Textile Institute નો પૂરો
પરિચય અને વર્ણન આપેલું
છે. તે Issue થી જ American Textile instutes વિષે માહિતી આપવાનું
તેઓએ શરૂ કરે છે
અને દરેક મહિને દરેક
University વિષે લખવાના છે. તેમાં Philadelphia Textile Institute નો પહેલો નંબર
લાગ્યો છે એટલે અમોને
Best University જ ગણાય અને facilities પણ
અભ્યાસ માટે ઘણી જ
લાગે છે એટલે ત્યાં
આવવા હવે વિચાર થાય
છે. Main problem છે Duration of course નો; Salfords માં four yrs course leading
to Diploma છે જે ટાઈમ મને
ખુબ જ વધુ લાગે
છે. જ્યારે પ્રવિણભાઈએ ખરું જ લખ્યું
હોય તો Philadelphia નો course 2 - 2½ Yrs નો છે.
જો
કે Philadelphia ના Calender માં તો તેને
four yrs course જ લખેલ છે. એટલે
જરા confusion થાય છે કે
આમાં સાચું કોણ. જો કે
આપણો તો પ્રવીણભાઈની વિગત
સાચી માનવી જોઈએ તેમ હું
માનું છું. એટલે હવે
તુ તારાથી બને તેટલો વહેલી
તકે પ્રવીણભાઈને પત્ર લખીને નીચેની
વીગત પુછાવીને - તે વિગત તથા
તારો અભિપ્રાય તું મને વહેલી
તકે જણાવજે.
- Maths નું
knowledge અહીંના ક્યા standard સુધીનું જરૂરી
- Duration of course leading to B.S. ગણાય?
- Campuss બહાર
રહેવાની રજા આપે છે કે નહિ? જો રજા special case તરીકે આપતા હશે તો હું તારા લખ્યા મુજબ સીધો Dean ને પત્ર લખીશ, કે હું strictly vegetarian
છું વગેરે... કારણોસર Campus માં રહી શકું તેમ નથી.
- Roughly what expense is he getting?
- According to Pravinbhai how is the institute અને Textile engineering
નો course સારો છે કે Textile chemistry નો? કારણ તે બેમાં વધુ ફરક નથી.
જર્મની
વિષે તો કાકા તરફથી
ખાસ કાંઈ જ વિગત
મળતી નથી. તેઓ તો
લખ્યા કરે છે Do not think much, I come here and every
thing will be managed; even if a centipede looses one leg he does not feel it.
But my uncle does not seem to know that I am not a centipede but a monopede so
that if one leg is lost everything is lost. (જવાબ
હવેથી ઉપરના એડ્રેસે જ આપવો)
તેમ
છતાં જો તારા તરફથી
અને Pravinbhai ના views મળ્યા પછી ત્યાં આપવાનું
સાહિત્ય કરીશ તો પણ
Germany જરા chance લગાવી જોઈશ. ત્યાં પત્તો લાગી જશે તો
ત્યાં જ રહી જઈશ.
બાકી Salford તો Duration ને લીધે Omit કરવું
જ પડશે તેમ લાગે
છે. હજુ સુધી તેને
મેં કાંઈ જ admission રાખ્યું
છે. એટલે હું હવે
વહેલી તકે આ વિષય
પાછળ થોડો વખત જગાડીને
પણ તારાથી બનાવું કરજે અને મને
જણાવજે.
બીજું..
ગયા અઠવાડિયે મેં Saurashtra Government ના Education Department પર Loans
આપવાની
terms વિષે વિગત મંગાવી છે
પરંતુ હજી સુધી ઉત્તર
નથી. થોડા દિવસમાં આવી
જશે. તો આ બાબત
પણ તેં ઘટતી વિધિ
કરેલ છે એટલે થોડી
ઘણી Hints મને મળશે. મારી
ઈચ્છા બનશે તો તે
લોન પર જ અભ્યાસ
કરવા માટે આપવાની છે.
પૂ. કાકા કે પૂ.
પિતાશ્રી ને મેં આ
વાત મેં જણાવી નથી
પરંતુ મારી ઈચ્છા તેઓના
પૈસે foreign જવાની ઓછી થાય છે
તે સહજ. રજનીભાઈ ઘણાં
વખતથી મળ્યા નથી.
આજથી
તારી કોલેજો શરૂ થઈ ગઈ
હશે એટલે હવે તો
ટાઈમ કાઢવો પણ મુશ્કેલ પડશે
પણ કાંઈ નહિ Electric bill ભાડા સાથે
જ છે આવી જાય
છે એટલે અઠવાડિયે દિવસ
રાતના વધુ જાગીશ તો
પણ વાંધો નહિ આવે ! તારી
સલાહ તો મને Germany જવા
માટે જ છે કેમ
જવું ને? અને તેનું
કારણ પણ તેં સુંદર
આપ્યું છે પણ Dear uncle does not co-operate with me
fully! Germanyની
Practical experience માટે
પણ કાકાને પુછાવ્યું પણ સાવ લુખો
જ ઉત્તર આપ્યો! Govt. Visa તો આપતી હશે
કારણ મારો એક મિત્ર
Germany મિલાપના આશ્રય નીચે Practical training માટે જવાનો છે.
Govt. કદાચ સીધી રીતે તે
મુજબ Visa નહિ આપતી હોય
તો for health and
pleasure કરીને જર્મનીમાં દાખલ થઈ જઈશું
અને આગળ પર જોઈ
લઈશું. તે કાકા વિષે
ઘણાં જ પ્રશ્નો પેદા
નાખ્યા છે પણ અફસોસ
કે હું તેમાંનો એકેય
ઉત્તર Definately આપી શકું તેમ
નથી. તેમ છતાં મારા
ધાર્યા પ્રમાણે તેઓ પણ ત્યાં
કાંઈ જ કમાતા નહિ
હોય. Part-time મેળવવું ત્યાં ખુબ જ મુશ્કેલ
છે. ભાષાની મુશ્કેલી હજી તેમ થોડી
ઘણી છે જ. કાકાનો
અભ્યાસ જ ક્યારે પૂરો
થશે તે કોઈને જ
ખબર નથી તો અભ્યાસ
બાદ ત્યાં રહેવાના છે કે નહિ
તે ક્યાંથી ખબર પડે? England માં
મારા ધારવા પ્રમાણે ૨૫૦-૩૦૦ રૂપિયા
મહિને ખર્ચ આવતો હશે.
કાકાનું address તું ખાજે છે.
House decoration માટે મેં કાંઈ
મંગાવ્યું નથી પણ તારા
તરફથી House decoration
વિષે views જોઈએ છીએ અને
બની શકે તો તેવી
items ના photoes or
Blueprints. હા આ Plastic બને છે શેમાંથી?
Plastic powder India માં
તો completly import થાય છે એટલે
જો હું તેની recipe ગોતી
કાઢું તો અને Raw material અહીં
મળી રહે તો મારા
ધાર્યા પ્રમાણે રેશમ પડે તો
કોશીષ કરજે.
73 SION ROAD, BOMBAY 22. INDIA
To:
HEMENDRA C. Parekh
1008, W. Illinois, URBANA
(Illinois) (U. S. A)
(Notes written at the top margin):
Delighted to know that my taste towards Western music is getting cultivated, and now it would be good if you start cultivating a little taste in food too! Among updates, Rajendra came home last night and specifically asked to go to Ahmedabad on the 13th.
4-5-56
Dear Hemendra,
I had been wanting to write you a letter for many days, but last week went into a bit more work, so I couldn't find the time. Just now, when I read your envelope line and "Recd on 9/4/56" written on it, I was very surprised. I am sitting down to reply to you after a whole month. Well, even that will be considered on time according to your beliefs! Because if correspondence remains regular, the figure for postal expense also keeps increasing.
— Reply Soon — Thane
The weight of your envelope was very, very light, so I opened the cover with great hopes and was delighted to see your beautiful color photo inside. I had assumed that you might have sent some blueprint this time. Reading your letter makes one feel deeply envious; getting American hospitality while roaming around like a bridegroom, and along with that, taking a 90 M.P.H. journey at their expense! Rajendra's marriage is in Ahmedabad on 13/5/56.
Well, about my leaving India, at present I am between two minds. I am unable to decide myself, and so I will be much thankful to you if your help and advice will be given to me! All friends are doing well.
A letter has come back from Philadelphia stating that they are granting me admission for September, so send $10 pounds entrance fee as early as possible. Ten days ago, I was actually going to reject Philadelphia's admission, but last week I brought a journal named "American Dyestuff Reporter" from Adelphi, in which they have provided a complete introduction and description of Philadelphia's Textile Institute. They are starting to provide information about American Textile Institutes from that very issue and will write about each university every month. Philadelphia Textile Institute bagged the first rank in it, so it is considered the best university among us, and facilities for studies also seem plentiful, so now I am considering coming there.
The main problem is the duration of the course. At Salford, it is a four-year course leading to a diploma, which feels like too much time to me. Whereas, if Pravinbhai has written correctly, Philadelphia's course is 2 to 2½ years. Although in Philadelphia's calendar it is listed as a four-year course, so there is a bit of confusion as to who is correct. However, I believe we should consider Pravinbhai's details as true. Therefore, write a letter to Pravinbhai as early as possible on your end, inquire about the following details, and inform me about those details along with your opinion at the earliest:
Up to which standard of Maths knowledge from here is considered necessary?
Duration of course leading to B.S.?
Do they grant permission to stay outside the campus or not? If they grant permission as a special case, I will write directly to the Dean as per your suggestion, stating that I am strictly vegetarian, etc., and cannot stay on campus due to such reasons.
Roughly what expense is he getting?
According to Pravinbhai, how is the institute, and is the Textile Engineering course better or Textile Chemistry? Because there is not much difference between the two.
Regarding Germany, no specific details are being received from Kaka. He keeps writing: "Do not think much, I come here and everything will be managed; even if a centipede loses one leg he does not feel it." But my uncle does not seem to know that I am not a centipede but a monopede, so that if one leg is lost, everything is lost. (Reply from now on to the above address only).
Even so, after receiving your and Pravinbhai's views, I will prepare the material to submit there, and I will also try my luck with Germany. If things work out there, I will stay there. Otherwise, it seems Salford will have to be omitted due to the duration. So far, I have kept its admission on hold. So try to take out some time for this topic at the earliest and inform me.
Secondly, last week I requested details regarding the terms for granting loans from the Education Department of Saurashtra Government, but there is no reply yet. It will arrive in a few days. Since you have also completed the necessary formalities regarding this matter, I will get a few hints. If possible, my desire is to go for studies on that loan itself. I haven't mentioned this to respected Kaka or respected Father, but my desire to go abroad on their money is naturally decreasing. Haven't met Rajnibhai for a long time.
Your colleges must have started from today, so now taking out time will be difficult too, but no matter! The electric bill comes along with the rent itself, so even if I stay up later at night once a week, it won't be a problem! Your advice to me is specifically to go to Germany, right? And you have given a wonderful reason for it, but Dear uncle does not co-operate with me fully! I also asked Kaka about practical experience in Germany, but he gave a completely dry reply! The Government must be granting visas, because a friend of mine is going to Germany under the auspices of Milap for practical training. If the Government does not give visas directly that way, we will enter Germany stating "for health and pleasure" and see moving forward.
You have raised many questions about Kaka, but unfortunately, I cannot answer any of them definitely. Nevertheless, according to my guess, he must not be earning anything there either. Getting part-time work there is very difficult. There is still somewhat of a language barrier. No one knows when Kaka's studies will finish, so how could anyone know whether he will stay there after studies? In England, according to my guess, it must cost around 250–300 rupees per month. You are asking for Kaka's address.
I haven't requested anything for house decoration, but I need your views on house decoration, and if possible, photos or blueprints of such items. Ah, what is this plastic made of? Plastic powder is completely imported in India, so if I find its recipe and raw material is available here, it would be a hit according to my expectation, so do make an attempt.
73 SION ROAD, BOMBAY 22. INDIA





No comments:
Post a Comment