Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Thursday, 30 March 2017

NARESH - 13/07/1954

૩૧/૫૩ સ્ટાર બિલ્ડીંગ, ગોખલે રોડ (નોર્થ) મુંબઇ ૨૮. ૧૩-૬-૫૪

પ્રિય હેમેન્દ્ર,

કેટલાય દિવસથી તને ઉત્તર આપવા માટેના મનોમંથન કર્યા પછી આજે આ પત્ર લખવા બેઠો છું. કોણ જાણે કેમ પણ તને પત્ર લખવો હોય ત્યારે મારે અનેક વિચાર કરવા પડે છે. આજે મેં લગભગ આઠ પત્રો લખ્યા અને તેમાં તારો નંબર હાથે કરીને જ છેલ્લો રાખેલ. પેનમાં શાહી તો હતી છતાં પણ અધવચ્ચે પંકચર ન પડે અને આખી વિચાર દોરી ન તોડી નાખે માટે હાલ જ પાછી શાહી પુરી ભરી લીધી છે. જોઈએ કે હવે કેટલા પત્રો ભરે છે.

હેમેન્દ્ર સાચુ કહુ તો મને મારા જેટલો કોઈ આપસુ જ દેખાતો નથી. કેટલાયના પત્રો આવીને પડ્યા રહે છે અને હું માત્ર દરરોજ આજ કાલ કરતા ઉત્તર આપતા એકાદ મહિનો કાઢી નાખુ છું - નીકળી જાય છે. અને પછી એક સામટા બધાને ઉત્તર આપવા એકી સાથે

 

બેસવુ પડે છે. હું બીજાને મારા તરફથી ઉત્તર માટે કેટલી બધી પ્રતિક્ષા કરાવું છું અને તેઓને નિરાશ કરું છું? ખરેખર એ બાબતમાં હું અત્યંત નિર્દય લાગુ છું. મને પોતાને જ જો મારા પત્રનો ઉત્તર ટાઈમસર ન આવે તો ચીડ ચડે છે તો પછી બીજાઓને પણ તે પ્રમાણે જ થતુ જ હશે ને? મને યાદ છે કે મેં તને એક બે વાર લખ્યુ હતું કે હવેથી હું તારા પત્રોના ઉત્તર નીયમીત અને તુરત આપવા કોશીષ કરીશ પરંતુ હજી તે અમલમાં મુકી શક્યો નથી અને પહેલાની જેમ જ લાંબા ટાઈમે ઉત્તર આપું છું, તો આ ટેવ સુધારવા મારે શું કરવું?

બીજી બાજુ એમ પણ વિચાર થાય છે કે પત્ર જેમ થોડા લખાય તેમ વધુ સારુ. પત્ર વધુ ઓછા લખાય તેથી કાંઈ આપણી મૈત્રીને વાંધો આવે તેમ નથી. મૈત્રી શબ્દ પણ આપણા બે માટે હવે તો અયોગ્ય લાગે છે. આપણી બે વચ્ચે તો હવે આત્માનું મીલન થઈ ગયું હોય તેવુ લાગે છે. એવો એકેય દિવસ નહિ હોય કે જ્યારે તું મને યાદ ન આવ્યો હોય. મેં વિદ્યાનગર તો જોયું નથી પરંતુ મારી કલ્પનામાં મેં એક વિદ્યાનગર બનાવ્યું છે જે દરરોજ મારી પ્રત્યક્ષ દેખાય છે. અને એ વિદ્યાનગરમાં માત્ર એક જ વિદ્યાર્થી

 

અભ્યાસ કરે છે અને તે તું જ. હવે તો જ્યારે હું પોતે ત્યાં આવીશ ત્યારે જ ખબર પડશે કે મારા કલ્પીત વિદ્યાનગર અને આણંદની બાજુમાં આવેલા વિદ્યાનગરમાં કેટલો ફરક છે.

આ વખતે હું નાપાસ થયો છું તે તને રસિકે જણાવ્યું. મને હજી રસિક મળ્યો નથી. આ વખતની ફેઈલ્યોરથી મન પર ખૂબ જ અસર થઈ છે. કોઈને મળવું કે હરવું ફરવું પણ ગમતું નથી. મનમાં થયા કરે છે કે કોઈ અગમ્ય એકાંતવાળી જગ્યાએ હું એકેલો ભાગી જાઉં કે જ્યાં કોઈ જ ન હોય. જીવ પણ આખો દિવસ ઉંડે ઉંડે બળ્યા કરે છે. જ્યારે ભગવાન આવો અણધાર્યો ફટકો મારે છે ત્યારે ખૂબ જ દુઃખ થાય છે. જો ફટકાની જરા પણ બીક હોય અને પછી લાગે તો તે બહુ અસર નથી કરતો પણ અણધાર્યો ફટકો તો જરૂર ખરાબ અસર કરે છે. આ વખતે મને બિલકુલ ચીંતા ન હતી. પણ ખેર છેવટે તો નસીબની બલીહારી સમજીને મનને મનાવવાનું રહે છે. આપણે તો પુરુષાર્થ કરીને છુટી ગયા પણ ઈશ્વરે અને નસીબે સાથ ન આપ્યો. હવે તો બાર મહિને પરિક્ષા આવશે.

 

પશુ શું કરે છે? પશુ હું પણ લખુ તો વાંધો નથી ને? મને પણ તારુ નામ હેમેન્દ્રના બદલે હેમુ લખવાનું મન થાય છે અને આ વખતે લખવાનો પણ હતો પરંતુ લખાયું નહિ. વિરેન્દ્રના પત્રો આવતા હશે. હવે તે શું કરે છે?

કાકા "સેન્ડોઝ" માં નોકરી માટે ટ્રાય કરે છે. સૌરાષ્ટ્રના ટ્રાવેલીંગ એજન્ટ તરીકે કદાચ નીમણૂક થશે. સ્વીસ ફર્મ છે એટલે પગાર પણ સારો મળશે તેમ કહેતા હતાં.

બીજું મારો એક અહિંનો મિત્ર કે જેનું નામ અનંત મહેતા છે તે આ ઓગષ્ટ-સપ્ટેમ્બરમાં જર્મની જવાનો છે. એડમીશન મળી ગયું છે. મારી સાથે જ ભણતો હતો. અને કદાચ તને ખ્યાલ હોય તો તેના પિતાના સ્વર્ગવાસ થવાથી આપણી સાથે આછુ આવ્યો ન હતો. ધારેને કલકત્તા ગયો છે.

એજ અત્રે સર્વે મઝામાં છે. મારા પૂ. માતૃશ્રી કોઈકવાર તને યાદ કરે છે અને પુછે છે કે હમણાં કેમ તે અહિં આવતો નથી?

  • નરેશ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


31/53 Star Building, Gokhale Road (North)

Mumbai 28

13-6-54

Dear Hemendra,

After days of inner debate about replying to you, I sat down to write this letter today. Who knows why, but whenever I have to write to you, I have to think a lot. Today I wrote about eight letters, and yours was deliberately kept as the last one. Even though the pen had ink, so that it wouldn't get punctured in between and break my whole train of thought, I filled it with ink again just now. Let's see how many pages it fills now.

Hemendra, to tell you the truth, I don't see anyone as self-absorbed as I am. Letters from so many people keep lying around, and I just drag out a month saying "today or tomorrow" to reply—time just passes by. And then, to reply to everyone all at once, I have to sit down together.

How much I make others wait for a reply from my side, and how much I disappoint them! Truly, I feel extremely heartless in this matter. If a reply to my own letter doesn't arrive on time, I get annoyed, so others must be feeling the exact same way, right? I remember I wrote to you once or twice that from now on I would try to reply to your letters regularly and promptly, but I haven't been able to put that into practice yet and am still replying after a long time as before. So what should I do to mend this habit?

On the other hand, the thought also occurs that the fewer letters written, the better. Whether fewer or more letters are written, it doesn't harm our friendship in any way. In fact, even the word 'friendship' seems inappropriate for the two of us now. Between the two of us, it feels as if there has been a union of souls. There isn't a single day when you haven't come to my mind. I haven't seen Vidyanagar, but in my imagination I have built a Vidyanagar that appears directly before me every day. And in that Vidyanagar, only one student

studies—and that is you. Now, only when I come there myself will I know how much difference there is between my imagined Vidyanagar and the Vidyanagar situated next to Anand.

Rasik informed you that I failed this time. I haven't met Rasik yet. This failure has deeply affected my mind. I don't even feel like meeting anyone or going out anywhere. In my mind, I keep feeling like running away alone to some unknown, secluded place where there is no one. My inner self also burns deep down all day long. When God strikes such an unexpected blow, it hurts immensely. If there is even a little fear of a blow and then it hits, it doesn't affect as much, but an unexpected blow certainly leaves a bad impact. This time I had no worry at all. But well, in the end, one has to convince the mind considering it the play of fate. We did our hard work and played our part, but God and fate did not support us. Now the exam will be after twelve months.

What is Pashu [a nickname/friend] doing? Is it okay if I also write "Pashu"? I also feel like writing "Hemu" instead of Hemendra for your name, and was going to write it this time, but couldn't. Virendra's letters must be coming; what is he doing now?

Kaka is trying for a job in "Sandoz". He will perhaps be appointed as a travelling agent for Saurashtra. It is a Swiss firm, so he was saying the salary will also be good.

Another thing—a friend of mine here named Anant Mehta is going to Germany this August-September. He has received admission. He used to study with me, and if you recall, due to his father's passing, he couldn't come with us earlier. He has gone to Kolkata right now.

That is all; everyone here is doing well. My respected mother remembers you sometimes and asks why you don't come here these days.

Naresh

 





No comments:

Post a Comment