Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Tuesday, 7 February 2017

JYOTI BEN - 15/10/1959

To Hemendrabhai C. Parekh.

140 A 'Vikas' 2nd Floor 2nd Cross Road

Shivaji Park Dadar (B.B.) ↑ Bombay - 28

 

તા-૧૫/૧૦/૫૭ ગુરૂવાર

જટુકભાઈ, તમારો તથા ગીતાનો કાગળ આજે મળ્યો વાંચી થોડીવાર સુધી ખુબ રડી, એટલા માટે નહિ કે તમે જે બધુ લખ્યુ છે એ મને નથી ગમ્યુ પરંતુ એટલા માટે કે મારા વેવિશાળનો પ્રશ્ન ઘરમાં સૌને માથે આટલો બધો બોજારૂપ બની રહ્યો છે અને તમે પણ એથી વંચિત નથી રહી શકતા. તમે તમારા લગ્ન આ ખાતર લંબાવે મને ન માણી શકો એ જાણી ખુબ દુઃખ થાય છે. હું તમારાથી ઉંમરમાં મોટી તો નથી જ તો પણ તમારા મનમાં આવુ લાગે એ જાણીને મને દુઃખ ન થાય તો બીજુ શું થાય? આપણા સમાજમાં છોકરી થઈને જન્મવું એ આટલા માટે જ કમનસીબી ગણાય છે ને! નહિતર અત્યારે આ પ્રશ્ન માટે સૌના મન આટલા બધા ચિંતિત શા માટે બને? આપણી સામાજીક રીત જ એવી છે એટલે એમ થાય એ સ્વાભાવિક છે.

મેં અભ્યાસ છોડી દીધો ત્યારે તમે તમારી ડાયરીમાં લખેલા શબ્દો તમે અત્યારે ન લખ્યા હોત તો પણ યાદ જ છે અને એ સાચુ જ છે. પરંતુ ત્યારે એ ઉંમરે અત્યારે છે એટલી વિચાર યા સમજ શક્તિ ન્હોતી. ત્યારબાદ સમજ પડી પરંતુ બા-બાપુજી ખાતર મેં મારી પ્રગતિ રોકી અને આટલા વર્ષો અહીં-

 

માં ગાળ્યા અને અત્યારે બહારનાં વાતાવરણને જોતા એમ લાગે છે કે મેં આટલા વર્ષો અહીં રહીને ઘણું ગુમાવ્યું છે મેળવ્યું નથી હવે પછીની જીંદગીમાં લગભગ અશક્ય જ ગણાય અને એનો અફસોસ જીંદગીભર સુધી રહેશે. અભ્યાસ છોડ્યો ત્યારે મારી જ ભૂલ થઈ હતી પરંતુ ત્યારબાદ કંઈ ન કરી શકી એ મારો દોષ નથી પણ એ માટે પણ સૌ મને જ જવાબદાર ગણે છે. બા-બાપુજીની ડાયરી વિગરેને કારણે હું અહીં રહીને તો કંઈ ન કરી શક્ત પરંતુ રાજકોટ હોત તો ઘણું બીજુ શીખી શકી હોત. હજી પણ એ ક્વાહેશ છે કે જીંદગીનાં બાકીનાં વર્ષોમાં જે જે વિષયોમાં મને રસ છે એ બની શકે તો એ માટે પ્રયત્ન કરવો ખરા એ બધી વાતો જવા દઉં છું ગયે એ માટે અફસોસ કરવાને બદલે ભૂલવાનો પ્રયત્ન કરવો એ જ યોગ્ય છે. જે હકિકત બની ગઈ છે એને ગીતા પરનાં પત્રમાંથી તમે જાણી એ પણ ભૂલવા પ્રયત્ન કરું છું. તમે લખો છો એ સાચુ જ છે કે લગ્ન મનની હા પાડવી એ એક જુગાર છે જેનો આપણી સાથે પડે છે ત્યારે જ અનુભવ થાય છે. નરેશ માટેની અપેક્ષા હંમેશા શંકાશીલ ન હતી અને એવી વ્યક્તિ પાસેથી આ જાતની અપેક્ષા રાખવી એ મુર્ખાઈ ગણાય-માત્ર મારા માટે. એ તમારા લગ્નમાં આવે કે ન આવે એ સાથે મને કશી જ નિસ્બત રહેતી નથી, અમુક બાબતો જીંદગીમાં એવી બની જાય છે કે એ જીંદગી સુધી ભૂલાતી નથી પરંતુ એવી વાતને ભૂલવા પ્રયત્ન કરવો એ જ વધુ યોગ્ય ગણાય. આ હકિકત તમને નથી સમજા-

 

એવું નથી પણ મને પોતાને પણ સમજાતી નથી. મનમાં જે Qualification નથી એ સ્વામી વ્યક્તિ માટે માર્ગવવો એ અડચણ છે એ સારી રીતે સમજુ છું. જે ભાઈ માટે વાત થઈ છે એ Ugly looking તો નથી જ પરંતુ એ સમયે ન સમજાય એવી મૂંઝવણ થઈ એટલે 'ના' પાડી. આટલા દિવસોનાં વિચારોને અંતે એમ લાગે છે કે સૌની ઈચ્છાને અવગ-ણીને હું ના પાડુ છું એ મારા Qualification જોતા ઠીક નથી. વ્હેનનાં અને ચંદાબ્હેનનાં પત્રમાં પણ ઘણી સમજવા જેવી વાતો હતી કે આપણા સમાજમાં છોકરીનું સગપણ કરવું એ કેટલી મુશ્કેલ વાત છે અને એ સાચુ જ હશે. જેમની સાથે વાત થઈ છે એ લોકો એ દિવાળી સુધી રાહ જોશે એમ કહ્યુ છે. એ ભાઈનાં બાપાનો સ્વભાવ બહુ કડક છે એમ સૌ કહે છે પરંતુ હું માનુ છું ત્યાં સુધી એવું કોઈ પણ કુટુંબ નહિ હોય કે જ્યાં દરેક વ્યક્તિ સારી જ હોય, એવી બાબતનો સામનો તો કરવાનો રહ્યો. એ લોકો કાયમ માટે બર્મા છોડીને આવ્યા છે એટલે હજી અહીં કોઈ business શરુ કર્યો નથી. પહેલાં ના પાડીને હવે 'હા' પાડુ એ માટે સૌ મને વિચિત્ર કહેશે પણ શું કરું? જેમ જેમ વર્ષો આ રીતે વિતતા જાય છે એમ સૌનાં મધ્યે ચિંતા વિશેષ કરીને બાપુજી ને માથે વધતી જાય છે એ કરતા એ પ્રશ્નનો ગમે તેવો નિવેડો આવી જાય એ જ વધુ યોગ્ય છે. શું લખું? મનુષ્યની દરેક અપેક્ષા-ઈચ્છા પુરી થઈ શકતી નથી એ જીંદગીની tragedy જ છે ને! ગીતાને ૨-૩ દિવસમાં જવાબ લખીશ. - જ્યોતિ

કાગળ જટુકભાઈને આપશો.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Hemendrabhai C. Parekh

140 A 'Vikas' 2nd Floor, 2nd Cross Road

Shivaji Park, Dadar (B.B.) ↑ Bombay - 28

Date: 15/10/57, Thursday [October 15, 1957]

Batukbhai,

Received your and Gita's letter today. After reading it, I cried uncontrollably for a while—not because I disliked what you wrote, but because the issue of my betrothal has become such an enormous burden on everyone in the family, and even you cannot remain unaffected by it. It pained me deeply to learn that you might postpone your own marriage on this account and cannot enjoy your happiness. Though I am certainly not older than you in age, knowing that you feel this way in your heart—what else could I feel but sorrow?

Is this not the very reason why being born a girl in our society is considered a misfortune? Otherwise, why would everyone's mind be so anxious over this single issue right now? Our social customs are structured this way, so it is only natural for things to be like this.

Even if you hadn't brought up the words you wrote in your diary when I gave up my studies, I still remember them vividly, and they are entirely true. However, at that young age, I did not possess the maturity or understanding that I have today. I realized it later, but for the sake of Ba and Bapuji, I halted my progress and spent all these years here...

...and looking at the outside world today, I feel that by staying here all these years I have lost a great deal without gaining anything. In the life ahead, making up for it seems nearly impossible, and this regret will remain with me for a lifetime. Dropping out of studies was indeed my own mistake, but not being able to pursue anything afterward was not my fault—yet everyone holds only me responsible for that.

Because of Ba and Bapuji's health/routine, I couldn't have achieved much by staying here; had I been in Rajkot, I could have learned many other things. It is still my earnest wish that in the remaining years of my life, if possible, I try my hand at the subjects that interest me. But let me put all those matters aside—instead of regretting what is past, it is best to try and forget it.

Regarding the reality that transpired, which you came to know from the letter to Gita, I am trying to forget that too. What you write is very true—consenting to a marriage in one's mind is a gamble, something one experiences only when one goes through it oneself. My expectations regarding Naresh were never without doubt, and expecting such things from that kind of person was foolish—strictly on my part. Whether he attends your wedding or not is of no concern to me whatsoever. Certain events occur in life that cannot be forgotten until one's dying day, yet trying to put such things behind us is the wisest course.

It is not that you fail to understand this reality...

...rather, even I cannot fully make sense of it myself. I understand well that seeking qualifications in a prospective partner that one does not possess oneself creates an obstacle.

The match/gentleman who was discussed is certainly not ugly-looking, but owing to a strange, inexplicable confusion at that moment, I said 'no'. After days of reflection, I now feel that rejecting the proposal by disregarding everyone's wishes is not right, given my own qualifications.

Ven-bahen's and Chandabahen's letters also contained very sensible observations about how difficult it is to arrange a girl's marriage in our society, and that must be true. The family we spoke with mentioned that they would wait until Diwali. Everyone says that the gentleman's father has a very strict disposition, but as far as I believe, there is hardly any family where every single individual is easygoing—such challenges have to be faced regardless. They have left Burma permanently and settled back here, so they haven't started any business yet.

If I now say 'yes' after having initially refused, everyone will call me fickle/strange, but what choice do I have? As years pass by like this, the anxiety among everyone—and especially on Bapuji's head—keeps growing. It is better that this issue gets resolved somehow, one way or another.

What more can I write? That not every human wish or expectation can be fulfilled is, after all, the true tragedy of life, isn't it? I will write a reply to Gita in 2–3 days.

— Jyoti






No comments:

Post a Comment