Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Friday, 10 February 2017

BOTADRA - 03/07/1956


To. Hemendra. Parekh 1128, Ohio Lawrence (Kan). U.S.A.

 

પ્રિય ભાઈ હેમેન્દ્ર,

તમારો પત્ર તા. ૧૫-૫ નો મળ્યો. પણ હું દેશમાં ગયો હતો એટલે મોડો મળ્યો પછી તમે ફોટો મંગાવેલો તેની રાહે વિશેષ મોડું થયું અંતે વગર ફોટો પત્ર લખવો પડે છે. એન્ડ ફાઇન લાવી કેમ પડે? આશા છે તમને ગેર સમજણ નહિ થાય. હું દેશમાં ગયો ત્યારે રાજકોટ ગયો હતો પણ વેકેશન ને હિસાબે ઉદય વિરેન્દ્ર હોય એટલે ન ગયા. મારા સાસુ-સસરા ત્યાંથી પત્ની કુસુમ જ્ય. ત્યાં રહે છે. દેશમાં મારી (કાકાની દીકરી) બેનના લગ્ન હતા ને કુસુમને પણ તેડાવેલી બે ભાઈઓ ને મળીયું એવી આશાથી ગયેલો પણ તે ન આવી પછી મારે રાજકોટ જવું પડ્યું. ફોટા માટે ઘણા વખતથી લખ્યું પણ તે મોકલતી જ નથી. હું ગયો ત્યારે પણ અમે ઘેર જ કંઈ વાતો કરી એટલે કે બાકી બહાર ક્યાંઈ બંને ગયા ન હતા. જે છે તે લોકોએ તર્ક આપેલી પણ હોઈ પણ હોય મને સંતોષ થયો. ઘેર નીરાંતે પાતો કરી. બાકી તો તમને ખબર હશે કે 'કુસુમનું ઠોર ત્યાં વધુ નીવડશે વધારે'. અત્યારથી શું કહી શકાય?

તમારી પરીક્ષા થઈ ગઈ હશે? પાસ પણ થયા હશો? નોકરી વિ. સારું મળ્યું હશે? જણાવશો. હવે કેટલું બાકી છે?

લગ્ન એકાદ બે વરસ મુલતવી રાખવાની દરખાસ્ત મેં મુકી છે. પાસ થશો તો મારી અંતરની ઇચ્છા સાકાર થશે. ગમે તેમ મને તમારી હાજરીમાં પરણવું લોહી ઉકળે તેવું થાય છે - તેવો અવાજ જ આવે છે. તમારી આવવાની વિગત જણાવશો. બાકી ઘરનું-કપડાં નો કરાવ્યા હતા તે હું આપતો આવ્યો. રાઈટ અલી તેટલું જ કર્યું છે કદાચ તેમને યોગ્ય થયું હશે માટે સાડીની વાત કરવા છતાં આપ્યું આવ્યા? મારા સાસરાને ત્યાં દરરોજ બધા ખાદી જ પહેરે છે વળી કુસુમ છઠ્ઠું વર્ષ નારણદાસ ગાંધી સાથે ફરે છે. આવું બધું છતાં સામાન્ય પણે મને એમ લાગે છે કે મને જેવું જોઈએ તેવું તો નથી જ મળ્યું. એટલું ધ્યાન રાખશો કે મારી પસંદગીમાં રૂપ, પૈસાદાર ઘર, વિ. ને સ્થાન જ ન હતું પણ હું જે જાતની દુનિયાના માનવાળી સ્ત્રીની ઇચ્છા રાખતો હતો તેવું વજી મને જે ચાલુ સમાજના સળગતા હરેક પ્રશ્નો સમજી શકે - તે વિષે પોતાનો ચોક્કસ અભિપ્રાય રચે - તેવું મળ્યું હોત તો સારું હતું. એટલે કે તેને એ બાબતમાં પોતાનો ચોક્કસ ખ્યાલ હોય તેનો જવાબ કરે એટલું જ નહિ તેનો પ્રચાર પણ કરી શકે તેવું જોઈતું હતું પછી ભલે તે ગમે તે નાત, ઘર, વિ. નું હોય રૂપ ન હોય આ તો એવી છે કે પહેલાંની જેવી માયામાં માનનારી - આપણને ગમે તે સારું આપણને ગમે તે તેને ન ગમતું હોય એવું સારું પણ છતાંય દલીલ વગર દુઃખ વહોરી ગાડીએ મારે મગજ કાંઈ ફરી જાય. એવી લાચારી શા માટે? આનો આપણને લેવા સ્વતંત્ર વિચાર હોય તેવી ઇચ્છા છે પણ તેવું ન હોય તો લોકો જેવી જ ગણાય કોઈક વાતો બરાબર છે.

તમે હવે પરણવાના ન હો તો પછી મારે શા માટે એકાદ વરસ ન ખમવું? કહો તો તમારી માટે તૈયારી કરી રાખું એમાં મારોય સ્વાર્થ ખરો ને તૈયાર હોય તો મારા લગ્ન પણ જલ્દી થાય.

 

નરેશ વિષે ખબર મળ્યા તેણે શું વિચાર કર્યો છે? તમારા ભાઈઓના ધંધા વિષેના ખબર જાણી આનંદ.

અનુપ પરણ્યો પણ રૂપના અભાવે એકલો રહેવું પડતું હોય સમજવા માટે ખૂબ દાઝ બળે છે. ઘણો બદલાઈ ગયો છે ત્યાંના લોકોની જેમ 'Eat, drink, and be merry' એવી કંઈક વાતો કરે છે. આપણું કેટલાં નબળાં છીએ તે પણ ક્યાં પહોંચ્યો હતો. મારે ખરેખર જે જોઈતું હતું તે સેવા નાણું પણ કીર્તિ એટલી પણ કીર્તિ સેવાથી મળે તેમ માની સેવા ને તો સાધન તરીકે સ્વીકારવાની હતી. ખૂબ મનોમંથન હવે કંઈ થયું. બીડી છોડી, ચા પણ લગભગ ગઈ, નવા કપડાં કેરવા તે ફક્ત ખાદીના જ, વાંચનમાં કિશોરલાલ મશરૂવાળાનું 'ગીતામંથન' વાંચ્યું હું ખૂબ જ સરળતાથી સમજી શકાય તેવી ભાષામાં લખ્યું છે. મતલબ હવે માનસિક શાંતિ ખૂબ રહે છે.

બાકી સૌ મજામાં છીએ. ધંધારોજગાર ઠીક ચાલ્યા કરે છે. પગાર પણ રૂા. વધ્યા છે. ભાભી વિ. ૨૫ ને હિસાબે બે માસથી દેશમાં છે. ઓક્ટોબરમાં આવી જશે. બની શકે તો આવો ત્યારે કે તે પહેલાં મારા માટે એક સારી ચશ્માની ફ્રેમ (રીમલેસ) મોકલજો. કાચ સાથે બને તો વધુ ઠીક નંબર નીચે પ્રમાણે છે.

Sph.

-2.0

-1.5

જમણી :- નંબર - ૨.૦ ડાબી :- નંબર - ૧.૫

બાકી ખાસ નવીન નથી. પત્ર જરૂર લખશો. ચશ્મા મોકલો તો અમુક પ્રસંગે કીંમતી તરીકે થઈ તેમ નથી ઠીક કિંમતના જોઈને મોકલવા નહિતર હેરાનગતિ થશે.

 

H. M. Botadra, 3/8 Sharda chawl Topiwala Lane Lamington Road Bombay 7. (India)

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To, Hemendra Parekh, 1128 Ohio, Lawrence (Kan), U.S.A.

Dear Brother Hemendra,

Received your letter dated May 15th. But since I had gone to the native place, it reached me late. Then, awaiting the photograph you requested caused further delay, and ultimately I have to write this letter without the photo. Why does an 'and fine' situation arise? I hope there will be no misunderstanding on your part.

When I went to the native place, I visited Rajkot, but due to vacation, Uday and Virendra were away, so I didn't go further. My in-laws are there; my wife Kusum is currently staying there. My (paternal uncle's daughter) sister was getting married in the native place, and Kusum was also invited. I went with the hope that both brothers would meet her, but she didn't come, so I had to go to Rajkot. I wrote to her many times for the photo, but she simply hasn't sent it. When I went, we only talked at home; that is to say, neither of us went anywhere outside. Whatever speculation people make, I was satisfied. Talked peacefully at home. Otherwise, as you know, "Kusum's endurance/stay there will prove to be more." What can be said at this point?

Must your exams be over by now? You must have passed as well? Must have found a good job etc.? Do let me know. How much is left now?

I have put forward a proposal to postpone the marriage for a year or two. If you pass, my inner wish will be fulfilled. Somehow, getting married in your presence makes my blood boil with enthusiasm—that is the very inner voice that comes. Do inform me about your arrival details. As for the household clothes that were ordered, I gave them away. Did just what was right; perhaps it was suitable for them, so despite talking about the saree, I gave it? At my in-laws' place, everyone wears Khadi every day; moreover, Kusum has been moving around with Narandas Gandhi for six years.

Despite all this, generally I feel that I haven't received what I truly wanted. Keep this in mind: in my selection, beauty, a wealthy household, etc., held no place at all. But the kind of woman with global/lofty thinking that I desired—one who could understand every burning issue of current society, form her own definite opinion about it—it would have been good if I had found someone like that. That is to say, I wanted someone who would have her own clear concept in those matters, answer to them, and not only that, but even propagate them, regardless of whatever caste or household she belonged to, even if she lacked beauty. This one, however, is such that she believes in traditional attachments—whatever we like is good, but even if she dislikes what we like, that's fine too; yet, taking on sorrow without argument makes my head spin. Why such helplessness? I desire that one should have independent thought to adopt this, but if that isn't the case, then she is considered just like ordinary people; some talks are valid.

If you are not getting married right now, then why shouldn't I wait for a year? If you say so, I will prepare for you—in that, my own self-interest lies too, and if you are ready, my marriage can happen sooner as well.

Got news about Naresh; what has he decided? Glad to know the news about your brothers' businesses.

Anup got married, but due to the lack of charm/beauty, he has to live alone; my heart burns with empathy to understand this. He has changed a lot, talking something like 'Eat, drink, and be merry' like the people over there. How weak we are, yet where had he reached! What I truly wanted was service—not money, but fame, yet believing that fame is obtained through service, service was to be accepted as a tool. A lot of deep introspection has happened now. Gave up bidi, tea is almost gone, new clothes to wear are strictly of Khadi; in reading, I read Kishorlal Mashruwala's Gita Manthan—written in very easily understandable language. In short, there is a lot of mental peace now.

Otherwise, we are all fine. Business/employment goes on decently. Salary has also increased by Rs. [amount]. Sister-in-law (Bhabhi) etc. have been in the native place for two months on account of 25. Will return in October.

If possible, when you come or before that, please send a good spectacle frame (rimless) for me. If possible with lenses, all the better; the prescribed numbers are as follows:

Sph.

Right Eye: Number -2.0

Left Eye: Number -1.5

Otherwise, nothing particularly new. Do write a letter without fail. If you send the glasses, they will serve as something valuable for special occasions; look for a reasonably priced one to send, otherwise it will cause hassle/customs trouble.

H. M. Botadra, 3/8 Sharda Chawl, Topiwala Lane, Lamington Road, Bombay 7. (India)






No comments:

Post a Comment