Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Tuesday, 7 February 2017

JYOTI BEN - 01/10/1959

To Gita N. Desai Savitri Sadan 

opp - shivaji Park Dadar (B.B.) Bombay - 28

 

ता - ૧ લી ઓક્ટો- બુધવાર

પ્રિય ગીતા, ઘણો સહાનુભૂતિભર્યો પત્ર રવિવારનો મળી ગયો વાંચી ઘણું સમજી શકી. તારા વિચારો યોગ્ય હતા. તે frankly લખ્યું તેથી મને કંઈ જ ખોટું નથી લાગ્યું. જો એવું હોત તો હું કોઈને ના અને તને ન શા માટે લખું? આટલા વર્ષોથી આપણે છૂટા પડ્યા છીએ અને આટલી દૂર છો છતાં એમ જ લાગ્યા કરે છે કે તું મારી નજીક માં નજીક છો. અને આજીવન એમ આપણો રહ્યો એમ ઈચ્છું છું.

તને જવાબ બીજે દિવસે જ લખવો હતો પણ આ હકીકત બની ગયા પછી મનમાં અનેક તર્ક ઉઠે છે તેથી ન લખી શકી. તારા એક એક વાક્ય પર આજ સુધી ખુબ જ વિચારો કર્યા. તે લખ્યા પ્રમાણે માત્ર Education એ પૂરતું પ્રમાણ ન જ કહેવાય એ બરાબર છે. પણ મેં તો તને અગાઉ લખ્યા મુજબ એ વાતનો વિચાર કર્યો છે, પરંતુ જે વ્યક્તિ માટે મારું મન હા પાડવા તૈયાર ન હોય તો સૌની ઈચ્છા ખાતર હું પાડું તો પાછળથી શું સ્થિતિ થાય? જે વ્યક્તિ માટે હું આશા રાખીને બેઠી છું એ વ્યક્તિ મારા માટે 'હા' પાડશે એવો દાવો હું કરી શકતી નથી અને મારી સાચી દ્રષ્ટિથી વિચારીએ તો હું લાયક ન કહેવાઉં. મનમાં કાંતો રૂપ અથવા તો ઉચ્ચ અભ્યાસ હોત તો જ એવી માગણી કરવી યોગ્ય...

 

કહેવાય એ હું સમજું છું. મનમાં એ નથી તો હું એ વ્યક્તિ માટે તો શું પરંતુ બીજી કોઈ પણ વ્યક્તિ પાસેથી એવી આશા રાખું એ અયોગ્ય ન... જાણે હું એટલું high education માગું છું કે ન શા માટે ન ભણી? એ બધી વાત ખૂબ જ ગળે ઉતરી ગઈ છે. પરંતુ આ હકીકતમાં તો it happened accidently in my life. મેં માત્ર એનું education નથી જોયું કે નથી એ વ્યક્તિને જોઈ પરંતુ આ feeling natural જ છે. આવું તો કોઈના પણ જીવનમાં બન્યું હોય. બહુ વિચિત્રતા મને પણ લાગે છે. તે મારો પત્ર ભાઈને વંચાવ્યો હશે એમ માન્યું હતું ને લખ્યા પછી એમ થયું કે એ કાગળ વંચાવવાનું ન લખ્યું હોત તો સારું થાત. ખેર! હવે શું થાય?

એમને શું લાગ્યું? મારા માટે સૌ ભાઈઓને પ્લેન માટે લાગણી હોય એવી લાગણી તો છે જ એટલે મારા ભાઈએ આ હકીકત માટે શું કહ્યું એ તરત જ લખજે. મને એમ લાગે છે કે એમને આ યોગ્ય તો નહિ જ લાગ્યું હોય. તે લખ્યું કે મેં આજ સુધી રાહ જોઈ છે તો હજી વધુ રાહ જોઈ લેવી એ બરાબર છે પરંતુ અત્યારે જે વ્યક્તિ સાથે વાત ચાલી છે એ લોકો દિવાળી સુધીમાં જવાબની રાહ જોશે. અને મારે એ માટે તરત જ નિર્ણય કરી લેવો જોઈએ એમ ઘરમાં સૌ કહે છે. જો મારી 'હા' જ હોત તો હું એ વાતને શા માટે ના પાડત? છતાં હું હજી પણ બહુ થોડું રોકાઈ...

 

સૌ પ્રશ્ન ન કર્યા કરે છે. સૌને એમ જ લાગે છે કે આ 'ના' પાડ્યા પછી ભવિષ્યમાં મને પસ્તાવાનો વખત ન આવે. શું મારું નસીબ એટલું બધું ખરાબ હશે કે મારે એકવાર 'ના' પાડ્યા પછી ભવિષ્યમાં ખૂબ પસ્તાવું પડે? મને તો આમાં કંઈ સમજણ નથી પડતી કે મારે શું કરવું? હા પાડ્યા પછી પણ પસ્તાવાનો સમય નહિ જ આવે એમ પણ કેમ કહી શકાય? બાકી તો નસીબની વાત છે. કોઈના વિચારો-સ્વભાવ એકાદ કલાકમાં શું મહિનાઓ સુધીના પરિચયથી પણ ખબર ન પડે. બન્ને પક્ષો પોતાના પ્રારબ્ધ પર જ ભવિષ્ય નક્કી કરવાનું રહે છે. આ જીવનની કેટલી ક્રૂરતા છે! મેં આ આશા છોડ્યા પછી આટલા વર્ષો શા માટે નકામા જવા દીધા એ કોઈ દિવસ તને મળીશ ત્યારે કહીશ ત્યારે જ તું મને પૂરી રીતે સમજી શકીશ. હું ખુબ હિંમત કરીને final 'ના' મૂકી દઉં ને બધાને લખીશ જેથી સૌ વાતનો છેડો લાવે અને હું પણ એ મુંઝવણમાંથી છૂટી શકું. ત્યારબાદ પણ મારું મન સાવ નિર્વિકાર તો નહિ જ બની શકે એમ લાગે છે. હું બને તો સુધી એકાદ બે દિવસમાં વાડિયા બહારથી ત્યાનો જવાબ લખજે. સૌને યાદી —

જ્યોતિ (Jyoti)

Jyoti Parikh Rajkot

AHMEDABAD DELY 5 Oct

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Gita N. Desai

Savitri Sadan, Opp. Shivaji Park

Dadar (B.B.), Bombay - 28

Date: 1st October, Wednesday [1958/1959]

(Postmarked: AHMEDABAD DELY, 5 Oct)

Dear Gita,

Received your deeply sympathetic letter on Sunday. Reading it, I could understand so much. Your thoughts were entirely valid, and because you wrote so frankly, I didn't feel hurt in the slightest. If that were the case, why would I say 'no' to everyone else yet open up to you? Though we have been separated for so many years and you are so far away, it still feels as if you are closest to me. I wish for our bond to remain this way throughout our lives.

I wanted to reply to you the very next day, but after this reality unfolded, so many conflicting thoughts arose in my mind that I couldn't write. I have pondered deeply over every single sentence of yours until today. As you wrote, education alone is certainly not a sufficient criterion—that is quite true. But as I wrote to you earlier, I have considered that aspect; however, if my mind isn't ready to consent to a person, what situation would arise later if I say 'yes' merely for the sake of everyone else's wishes?

I cannot claim that the person I am holding out hope for will say 'yes' to me, and looking at it objectively, I might not even be considered worthy. I understand that demanding such a match would only be justified if one possessed exceptional beauty or higher education...

...and since I lack those in my mind, expecting that not just from him, but from any person, would be improper. It is as though I am demanding high education while asking myself why I didn't study further. All of these points hit home very clearly. But in this instance, it happened accidentally in my life. I didn't look merely at his education, nor had I seen the person, but this feeling came naturally. Something like this could happen in anyone's life. Even to me, it feels quite strange.

I assumed you might have shown my letter to brother, though after writing it, I felt it would have been better had I not asked you to share it. Ah well! What's done is done. How did he feel about it? All my brothers naturally have deep affection for me, so do write back immediately about what my brother said regarding this matter. I feel he must certainly not have approved of this.

You mentioned that since I have waited this long, waiting a bit longer is fine; however, the family currently under discussion will wait for an answer only until Diwali. Everyone at home says I should make a decision immediately regarding them. If my answer were 'yes', why would I have refused in the first place? Still, I am delaying just a little longer...

Everyone keeps questioning me continuously. They all feel that after saying 'no' now, I might end up regretting it in the future. Could my fate be so terrible that saying 'no' once would cause me immense regret down the line? I honestly don't understand what I should do. How can anyone guarantee that a time for regret won't arrive even after saying 'yes'? Ultimately, it is all a matter of fate.

One cannot truly know someone's thoughts or nature in an hour, or even after months of acquaintance. Both sides simply have to leave their future to destiny. How cruel life can be! Why I let all these years go to waste after giving up that hope—I will tell you whenever I meet you in person, and only then will you be able to understand me fully.

Gathering great courage, I will put forward a final 'no' and write to everyone so they can bring this matter to a close, and I too can be freed from this turmoil. Even after that, I feel my mind won't become completely untroubled. If possible, I will write an answer from outside Vadia in a day or two.

Warm regards to everyone,

— Jyoti







No comments:

Post a Comment