Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Monday, 3 April 2017

JAGDISH SHAH - 05/01/1955

પ્રીય જગદીશ, તું અભ્યાસમાં કેટલો વ્યસ્ત છે એ તો હું જાણું છું તો પછી જરા સરખી પણ સુધ જવાબ આપવાની કુરસદ નથી મળી એ પણ મારે જણાવવું જોઈએ તો જરૂર લખજે. આ બધા પત્રનો જવાબ આપવાની તસ્દી લેશો તો જ આ મરા જવાબ આવશે. કે પછી મેં તારા પત્રનો જે મહિના સુધી જવાબ નથી આપ્યો તેનું પણ દબાવવા પુરા થવાની રાહ જુઓ છો? દવે અતિના નવનમાં હજુ વાંચવાનું શરૂ નથી કર્યું. છેલ્લા ૧૫ દિવસથી X'mas Vacation ચાલુ છે. તમારી પાસે પૂરું થયું છે, વેકેશન દરમિયાન Workshop નું પણ કામ પતવ્યું અને આજથી Drawing શરૂ કર્યું છે. ગઈકાલે એ અમારા પ્રિન્સિપાલની ૬૦મી વર્ષગાંઠ હતી. સાથે At-home party પણ હતી. બે દિવસ પહેલા, અહિં, સમસ્ત ગુજરાતની Olympic Games હતી, પરંતુ ૯૫% ટેક્નિકલ સ્કૂલના વિદ્યાર્થીઓ જ હતાં. જે દિવસ એમાં ગાળ્યાં. ગઈકાલે રાજકોટ Radio-station નું ઉદઘાટન થયું તેનો કાર્યક્રમ રાત્રે સાંભળ્યો. ગઈકાલે પંડિત વટ૨ મે, વડોદરામાં All-India Science Congress નું ઉદઘાટન કર્યું.

 

મારી Annual ધીમી એપ્રેસથી શરૂ થાય છે. ફત ત્રણ મહિનાની તૈયારીમાં first class તો નહીં જ આવે એમ ખાત્રી છે. પાસ થઈ જવાય તો ઘણું. અભ્યાસને છેલ્લા રામરામ કરવા છે. પાસાય પછી શક્ય હોય તો મુંબઈમાં Service કરવા વિચાર છે. ત્યાંના વિષે અને તારા વિષે જાણવા હું ખૂબ ઇંતેજાર છું પરંતુ મને લાગે છે કે તું તો મારા છેલ્લા પત્રમાંની પ્રશ્નાવલિ જોઈને ગભરાઈ ગયો લાગે છે! ખરું જોતા, મારે દરેક સગામમાં થોડા થોડા પ્રશ્નો જ પૂછવા જોતા હતા પરંતુ આ તો એનો અર્થ એ છે કે તારે દરેક પત્રમાં થોડા થોડાના જવાબ આપતાં રહેવું. આ પ્રશ્નોના જે કઈ જવાબો, ત્યાંના લોકોના જીવનમાં ઉંડા ઉતર્યા પછી જ આપી શકાય એમ હોય તો પણ આપજે, પરંતુ બાકીના જે પત્ર તે જલ્દી જવાબ આપવા પ્રયત્ન કરજો. જે ક્યા મિત્રો કઈ સગવડ? Landlady કોણ છે? તું જે family માં રહે છે એની વિગત - તારી દૈનિક નિદ્રાની પ્રવૃત્તિ વિ. મારો આગળનો પત્ર ફરી વાંચી જવાબ ઘણા પ્રશ્નો મળશે. મેં મોકલેલા આ ફોટા કેમ લાગ્યા? બીજા પણ મોકલી શકું - પરંતુ તું તારા તથા નવા Acquaintances નાં ફોટા મોકલે ત્યાર પછી જ. માણસને મને મુશ્કેલી પડે છે.

 

ત જરૂર લખજે. આ મારા પત્રને અંતે જે પદ લીટી તારી Landlady પર લખેલી તે એણે વંચાવી? હું માનું છું કે તે ત્યાં ગયા પછી, બિનજરૂરી સ્થળે, શરમજનક ઓછાં છોડી દીધું હશે.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear Jagdish,

I know how busy you are with your studies, so I must also mention that you haven't found even a moment's leisure to send a quick reply—do write back without fail. Only if you take the trouble to answer all these letters will my responses follow. Or are you waiting for the months to pass just as I didn't reply to your letter for months, waiting to get even?

I haven't started reading for the new term yet. For the last 15 days, Christmas Vacation has been ongoing. Vacation has ended on your side; during the vacation, I finished the Workshop work as well and started Drawing from today. Yesterday was our Principal's 60th birthday, along with an 'At-home' party. Two days ago, the all-Gujarat Olympic Games were held here, but 95% of the participants were technical school students. Spent a few days there. Yesterday, the Rajkot Radio Station was inaugurated, and I listened to its program at night. Yesterday, Pandit [Nehru] inaugurated the All-India Science Congress in Vadodara.

My Annuals are starting in early April. With only three months of preparation, I am certain I won't get a First Class. It will be a big deal just to pass. I want to say a final farewell to studies. After passing, if possible, I plan to work/service in Mumbai. I am very eager to know about that place and about you, but it seems to me that you got scared seeing the questionnaire in my last letter! Truth be told, I should have asked only a few questions in each letter, but this means you should keep answering a few of them in every letter. Even if the answers to those questions can only be given after delving deep into the lives of the people there, do write back, but try to reply quickly to the rest of the letter. Which friends are there, what facilities? Who is the Landlady? Details of the family you are living with—your daily routine and sleeping habits, etc. Re-read my previous letter and you will find many questions to answer.

How did you like the photos I sent? I can send more—but only after you send photos of yourself and your new acquaintances. It is difficult for me otherwise.

Do write without fail. Did you read out those few lines written to your Landlady at the end of my letter to her? I believe that after going there, you must have dropped unnecessary bashfulness in inappropriate places.





No comments:

Post a Comment